Sunday, October 1, 2017

The Last Laugh...Based On A True Story...Chapter 17 Air Of Superiority

Charter 17.jpeg
This chapter has been translated into Portuguese and is available after the English version:
This is the audio link to this chapter...www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaG3k0KR4KE Continued thoughts from chapter sixteen…….


  One of the benefits of not being infected is that now I can fully exercise my creativity, in areas of my life that would not exist, if...say, I was unlucky enough to have the Upright Bug. I mean, think of all the opportunities that I now have to invent new ways to accomplish the tasks that lay before me daily. All because of my body's continued efforts to fight off the effects of good balance, and all the other ailments that plague the “unfortunately-infected”.


  Frankly, it seems like it might get rather boring…..always knowing what you can expect, and what kind of reactions you will have from your body, in almost every situation. Where's the fun, or adventure in that? Always being able to eat or drink without choking. Forever having the ability to break into a run, leisurely jog, or enter into a game of Hopscotch whenever the mood strikes. Ascending and descending stairways without the use of handrails….my heart truly goes out to people like this. I don't know how they do it. Day, after day….always being understood when they talk and having the burden of legible handwriting.


  I suppose these type of people might have their very own type of helper to walk alongside them….sort of like the Passionately Reformed that are there to help us. Since I have an SCA immunity, I don't deal with this issue, so I can only imagine that it might work in the opposite way as how it does for me. In other words, having my wife hold my hand when I'm stepping off of a curb, or walking on uneven ground, would instead be someone walking with an Upright person who would push them whenever they are in a precarious position.


  And, how can they possibly manage to get anything in their mouth when they eat? Does someone stand to the back of their chair, shaking it continually, and hitting their elbow occasionally so that they spill on themselves, on the table, floor, and others? Again, I'm only speculating. I'd probably need to do some research, you know, actually look into it for me to have a definitive answer for you on this. But, since I don't know, (and looking into it appears to me to be too much like work), I will only tell you what I do know.


  I know that I am concerned, and do not want my standing of having an SCA to be viewed as elitist by the Upright-People, so I have envisioned some ways in which to try and fit into their world. These ideas do not make a perfect, or seamless match, but at least I am trying, right? It's the thought that counts. That's what matters.


  It occurs to me that one way to do this would be to invent a device that I would wear on my wrist, a device that would allow me to jump forward in time by twenty to thirty seconds. I'm not talking about a time machine, either...because that is just a little too unrealistic. No, I'm simply talking about a small mechanism that I could activate, which would propel me successfully through a situation, without anyone else knowing it. No longer would the Upright folks be intimidated by my stumbling down a staircase. I could approach the stairs, and activate the device. Everyone would then go into several minutes of a deep trance-like state, while I made my way down the stairs. At the bottom, I would again trigger the little wrist mechanism, and all would reawaken to find me standing at the bottom. All would appear to them as normal, (this, of course, would be what they would consider to be normal).


  How many times in public have you stumbled, and lurched ahead into several quick steps? It has happened to me on numerous occasions, and it always seems as if people begin to stare at me. Almost as if, in the act of tripping over my own feet and jumping forward, I am putting on an air of superiority. It has become effortless for me, and they all wish that they could do it. However, again in an attempt to remain humble, and fit into their world, I have come up with a way that I hope will stop the sudden forward sprints.


  Through little flaps that will spring out at a ninety-degree angle, which will create air-drag like the flaps on an airplane wing...and three smaller parachutes that will instantly explode from a backpack, I hope to arrest any forward movement quickly. Even though the chutes will remain to be as small a size as possible, they still will probably, (I'm guessing), be noticeable. It may not be a step that will completely solve, and eliminate the problem... but I think the concept is a solid one, and I would hope that a lack of any unwarranted lunges forward would be appreciated, in general, by the infected public.


  In my past endeavors to downplay my SCA-based immunity, and draw as little attention as possible to my Ataxia skills, one area continues to plague me. Every time I use any container with a screw-type lid, my Upright-free condition becomes apparent because it takes an effort that is worthy of an Iron Man competition to get the lid back on.


  To solve this dilemma, I have decided to invent the world's first Smart-Cap. What is that, you wonder? Well, it is a cap that will align itself correctly on the bottle, rotate all the way to the end of the threads, will sense when it is finished, and then give itself an extra twist to remain tight. The thing is, to make this completely inconspicuous and work without any possible hitch, only those who are legitimately free of the Bug would be aware of the Smart Cap's existence and use one.


  They would look exactly like the manual screw tops, and that way the infected would not be able to detect that we are using one. You would just need to carry one or two with you at all times so that if you were put in a situation in public, where a bottle was in use that you didn't know, the lid could be replaced easily and discreetly by you when no one was looking. No one would ever suspect, and you could go through the motions of screwing the lid on the container, while the lid is actually the one doing the work. I guess in a way; this would be like lip-syncing.


  On most occasions, if a screw-top beverage confronts me, it would appear that I may also be in the presence of food. If this happens, in order to not embarrass the non-sloppy eaters, or to avoid showing off, I try to keep my food either on my plate or in my mouth. It is not always possible to do this correctly, and so after giving the matter a lot of thought, I decided that what is needed is several sets of clothing that could change their color. They would start out as completely white but would be adaptable to any food coloring that you may spill on them. They would instantly take on whatever color, or shade, that is necessary. Multiple foods of different colors will not be a problem, either, because if more than one color would happen to be introduced to the clothing, it would quickly change itself from a solid print to a pattern of two or more colors. The possibilities are endless, and no longer will the Gifted person feel superior over the individual who doesn't have the gift or ability to spill their food while eating...because now they will appear to be free of even a small hint of food spillage. The only harm in using this type of apparel, and the deployment of said clothing, is that the infected person may think themselves crazy. I mean, they thought you wearing a white shirt...but the next time they looked you appeared to be wearing a red shirt...only to find that moments later you are ensconced in green...and on and on it would go. This could be quite unnerving. Eye clinics would undoubtedly experience a surge in business, due to everyone rushing off to get their eyes checked after one of these encounters... (I was originally going to say that they would see a surge….but that seemed too easy). Maybe I should buy stock in companies that make eyeglasses…?


  Anyway, there are enough differences that already exist, which serve to polarize and separate us. My efforts from this point forward are going to be not to let my neurologically-based immunity become one of them.

  These kinds of useful technologies could potentially change the way I interact with the general public. Yes, some may be a tad more obvious than others, but I believe the effort not to flaunt an air of superiority to be a worthy goal. Therefore, I will continue to strive for equality and downplay the assumed need by others to fit into their infected world.



Pensamentos continuados a partir do capítulo dezasseis.

Uma das vantagens de estar infectado é que agora eu posso exercer plenamente a minha criatividade, em áreas de minha vida que não existiriam, se eu disser, que tive a pouca sorte de contrair o Micróbio Vertical. Quero dizer, pense em todas as oportunidades que tenho agora de inventar novas formas de realizar as tarefas que encaro diariamente. Tudo por causa dos esforços contínuos do meu corpo para combater os efeitos de um bom equilíbrio, e todos os outros males que assolam os "infelizes infectados".

Francamente, parecia um pouco chato..... Saber sempre o que se podia esperar, e que tipo de reacções o seu corpo vai ter, em quase todas as situações. Onde está a diversão, ou aventura nisto? Ser capaz de comer ou beber sempre, sem se engasgar. Para sempre ter a capacidade de começar a correr, fazer a corrida por lazer, ou entrar num jogo da macaca, sempre que nos apetecer. Subir e descer escadas sem precisar de corrimãos, eu sinto muito por essas pessoas. Eu não sei como conseguem. Dia, após dia, sempre a ser entendidos quando falam e ter o pesadelo de uma caligrafia legível.

Suponho que este tipo de pessoas talvez tenha o seu próprio tipo de ajudante para caminhar ao lado deles, um tipo Apaixonadamente Reformada que está lá para nos ajudar. Desde que eu tenho imunidade a SCA, eu não tenho esse problema, então só posso imaginar que talvez funcione de maneira oposta ao que acontece comigo. Por outras palavras, ter a minha esposa a amparar-me quando eu desço o passeio, ou caminho em terreno irregular, preferia ser alguém a andar como uma pessoa direita e ainda empurrar os outros quando estes se encontravam numa posição frágil.

E, como é que eles possivelmente conseguem meter qualquer coisa na boca quando comem? Fica alguém em pé atrás da sua cadeira, abanando-a continuamente, e dar-lhe ocasionalmente cotoveladas, de modo a que eles derramarem os alimentos, sobre si, sobre a mesa, o chão, e os outros? Novamente, eu estou apenas a especular. Provavelmente precisaria de fazer alguma pesquisa, você sabe, realmente pesquisar primeiro para ter uma resposta para si, sobre isto. Mas, porque não sei, (e pesquisar parecia-me ser muito trabalho), vou apenas dizer o que eu sei.

Eu sei que eu estou preocupado, e não quero que o facto de ter SCA não quero ser visto como elitista pelas pessoas Verticais, então eu tenho imaginado algumas maneiras de me tentar encaixar no seu mundo. Estas ideias não fazem uma correspondência perfeita, mas pelo menos eu estou a tentar, certo? É o pensamento que conta. Isso é o que importa.

Ocorre-me que uma forma de fazer isso seria inventar um dispositivo que eu usaria no meu pulso, um dispositivo que iria permitir-me saltar para a frente no tempo, cerca de vinte ou trinta segundos. Eu não estou a falar de uma máquina do tempo, porque o que isso é apenas um pouco demasiado irrealista. Não, estou simplesmente a falar de um pequeno mecanismo que eu podia accionar, e que podia empurrar-me com êxito através de uma situação, sem que ninguém soubesse. Assim as pessoas direitas já não seriam intimidadas pelo meu rebolar por uma escada abaixo. Eu podia me aproximar das escadas e activar o dispositivo. Todos ficariam, vários minutos num profundo estado de hipnose, enquanto eu descia as escadas. No fundo das escadas, eu accionava novamente o mecanismo do pulso, e todos acordavam para me encontrar em pé ao fundo. Tudo parecia muito normal, (isto, é claro, seria o que eles consideravam normal).

Quantas vezes em público você tropeçou e seguiu em frente com vários passos rápidos como que a cair? Aconteceu-me várias vezes, e sempre me pareceu que todos ficaram a olhar para mim. Quase como se, ao tropeçar nos meus próprios pés e movendo quase a cair para frente, estou a mostrar um ar de superioridade. Tornou-se tão fácil para mim, e parece que todos desejariam poder fazer isso. No entanto, novamente, numa tentativa de permanecer humilde, e me encaixar no mundo, eu apareço com uma nova maneira, espero eu, de parar estes passos rápidos para a frente.

Através de pequenos passos que emergem a noventa graus, o que irá criar um saco de ar como as palas na asa de um avião...e três pára-quedas pequenos que se abrem instantaneamente, a partir de uma mochila, e assim espero parar qualquer movimento para a frente. Mesmo que os pára-quedas continuaram a ser o mais pequenos possível, mas mesmo assim serão, provavelmente, (suponho eu), perceptíveis. Pode não ser um passo que vai resolver completamente, ou eliminar o problema... mas eu acho que o conceito é sólido, e eu espero que a falta de qualquer agachamentos, injustificados, para a frente seria, em geral, apreciada, pelo público infectado.

Nos meus esforços no passado para minimizar a minha imunidade baseado no meu SCA e atrair menos atenção possível para as minhas competências Atáxicas, uma área que me continua a atormentar. Cada vez que utilizo qualquer recipiente com tampa de rosca, a minha condição de estar em pé sozinho torna-se muito mais evidente porque necessita um esforço que é digno de uma competição de um Homem de Ferro para enroscar a tampa novamente.

Para resolver este dilema, resolvi inventar a primeira tampa inteligente do mundo. Pode pensar, o que é isso? Bem, é uma tampa que se alinha correctamente na garrafa, atarraxa completamente, sentindo que chegou ao fim, e dá um aperto extra para permanecer apertado. A ideia é, fazer isto sem se notar e trabalhar sem qualquer percalço, somente aqueles que estão legitimamente livres do Micróbio conheciam a Smart Cap e utilizavam-na.

Seriam exactamente iguais a qualquer tampa de rosca e, dessa forma, os não infectados não conseguiriam ver que estava-mos a usar uma. Você precisaria apenas de trazer uma ou duas consigo sempre no caso de ficar numa situação em público, onde estava a ser usada uma garrafa e não estava a contar. Podia substituir a tampa facilmente e de forma discreta por si sem que ninguém notasse. Ninguém iria suspeitar, e você podia até fingir que estava a enroscar a tampa na garrafa, quando na verdade, ela é a única a fazer o trabalho. Eu acho que, de certo modo; isso seria como a sincronização labial.

Na maioria das ocasiões, uma bebida numa garrafa com tampa de rosca atrapalha-me, também fico atrapalhado na presença de alimentos. Se isto acontecer, e para não constranger os comedores não-desleixados, ou para evitar dar nas vistas, eu tento manter a comida no meu prato ou na minha boca. Nem sempre é possível fazer isso correctamente, e então, depois de pensar muito sobre a questão, decidi que o que é preciso ter vários conjuntos de roupas que podem mudar a sua cor. Começavam totalmente brancas, e iam-se adaptando às cores da comida que possa cair sobre elas. Automaticamente mudam de cor de qualquer que seja a cor, ou a sombra, o que é necessária. Alimentos de várias cores, não seriam um problema, porque, se mais de uma cor de comida caía sobre a roupa, então rapidamente esta transformar-se de uma cor sólida para um padrão de duas ou mais cores. As possibilidades são infinitas, e já não serei aquela pessoa talentosa a sentir-me superior ao indivíduo que não tem o meu dom ou a capacidade para derramar a comida enquanto come...porque agora vão parecer livres, mesmo de um pequeno indício de deixar cair alimentos. O único perigo ao usar este tipo de vestuário, e o uso das referidas roupas, é que a pessoa não infectada pode pensar que está louco. Quero dizer, eles achavam que você tinha uma camisa branca vestida. Mas a seguir olha e a camisa agora é vermelha...apenas para descobrir que momentos mais tarde, a camisa já é verde...e assim continua. Isso pode ser bastante irritante. Clínicas dos olhos terão, sem dúvida, um aumento de negócio, porque todos vão a correr verificar a sua visão depois desta experiencia... (inicialmente eu diria que eles iriam ter um surto de clientes, mas parecia fácil demais). Talvez devia comprar acções nas clínicas de tratamentos oculares?

De qualquer forma, existem muitas diferenças, que servem para nos polarizar e separar. O meu esforço a partir daqui é não deixar a minha imunidade neurológica se tornar uma delas.

Estes tipos de tecnologias úteis, poderiam mudar a minha maneira de interagir com o público em geral. Sim, alguns podem ser um pouco mais óbvios do que outros, mas acredito que o esforço para não ostentar um ar de superioridade é um objectivo digno. Portanto, vou continuar a empenhar-me na igualdade e para minimizar a suposta necessidade dos outros se encaixarem no mundo dos infectados.












No comments:

Post a Comment