Monday, September 25, 2017

The Last Laugh...Based On A True Story...Chapter 16 Dishwasher Safe From The Bug

Chapter 16.jpeg
The audio version of this chapter can be found at this link: www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdQxax9bhzU

The Portuguese translated version begins after the English version.
  Growing up was sometimes a wondrous adventure, and at other times it was….well, it seemed to be closer to an experimental exercise that was never going to end well. I grew up with two older brothers, who picked on me, and beat me up for numerous reasons, (their favorite reasons, of course, were that I was simply alive, breathing, and readily available).


  Allow me to explain what the word “available”, in this context, means. Both of my brothers were believers in, and supporters of, the right to delegate. It could be anything, but mostly it was whatever they didn't want to do, or deemed the called-for task to be unworthy of their time. As the younger sibling, this meant that I was the direct recipient of their rights of delegation, or in other words, I was the delegee. So with this in mind, the term available meant that I didn’t necessarily need to be present...they would seek me out.


   Of course, there was one factor that surrounded the act of a successful delegation, one that would ensure that things went smoothly. And that factor was singularly based on whether my parents were around. Our parents would delegate certain things to my older brothers, who in turn would pass these down to me if our parents were then going to be gone for the evening.


  My parents would have no sooner gotten into the car, and started to pull out of the driveway when I would hear my name. I'm pretty sure, if memory serves me correctly, that this was close to one of the only times my brothers used my name. In fact, before this I was kind of wondering if they even knew the name of the guy that they were roughing up...but this act, this act towards my personal welfare, always reminded me that yes...yes, they did know.


  The obvious question then is, why didn't I just go into hiding, enroll in some form of Federal Protection, or move out of the country whenever I heard my parents making plans to be gone in the evening? Any of these would have worked well as a solution to avoid the approaching unpleasantness, a solution which occurs to me now, but apparently didn't back then.


  The same pattern manifested itself so many times, that when I look back on it now, I am very surprised at myself for not taking more preventative measures. It seems, though, that I either; 1...forgot in between each event, which I will chalk up to the early stages of a faulty short term memory, or 2...was an optimist, and was hoping that things would be different the next time. They never were.


  There are two distinct memories that I have of those times, and both of those originate within one larger memory. The overall memory was based on a central pattern, which served as the core framework for most of these memories. Just before they would leave the house for the evening, my parents would instruct the oldest brother that certain chores needed to be done by the time they got home. It seemed that the dishes were always playing a significant role in this, and that particular night the counter just so happened to be full of dirty dishes that would need to be washed, dried, and put away.


  My parents didn't own an automatic dishwasher back then, but did have several manual dishwasher...and my brothers, in particular, had a favorite one that they liked to use when my parents were absent. That's right; it was yours truly. As soon as the folks were out the door, the ritual would begin.


  There was another part of the pattern that I have not mentioned yet, but one that played a significant role in the interaction. That part was the resistance that I forever seemed to attempt. It always happened in the same way….I was told what to do, followed by my first refusal to comply. I would then endure at least five minutes of arm twisting and wrenching, until I agreed that having me do all the dishes was a good plan, and in the best interest for all.


  Upon being released from torture, I would regain my wits, and run, screaming that I would not do what they had so kindly suggested to me. The humanitarian-based torture would then be repeated, in much the same way, at least another two or three times, until I had had enough,. Regardless of this fact, though, my brother would always find it a necessity to move the not-so-gentle persuasion into the next phase.


  This stage was quite simple. My brother would pin me down, with his knees on my shoulders, and would let large globs of spit dangle from his mouth. These huge wads of spit would come within mere inches of my face before he would suck them up again, temporarily diverting any impending disaster, (only a few times was he unable to retrieve the spit before it got away, and landed on me). Finally, with my spirit broken and bruised a little more than normal, I would formally give in to their demands.


  The first memory that stands out is the time that my older brother skipped the painful arm manipulations, and instead, went straight to the threat of making me eat his dirty socks if I didn't do what he prescribed. I, unfortunately, thought this to be a ridiculous and highly implausible threat, and so rather naively called his bluff. He did indeed pin me down, remove his dirty, smelly socks, and proceed to shove them into my mouth. All I can remember is that they had a slightly nutty flavor, along with several other unpleasant, and unidentifiable ones, and to this day I still have a tendency towards cottonmouth that I believe has roots that go back to that event almost forty-five years ago.


  The second memory that comes roughly out of the same time frame involved the other brother. His two favorite hobbies were playing with sharp knives, and tormenting his younger brother. Often he would decide to cut out the middleman, as it were,by combining both of these...and during this particular incident, was waving a rather large butcher knife in my face. I had wisely chosen to back up until I couldn't back up anymore because I was now against a wall. The surface that had stopped me from going any further just so happened to be the stained glass window that our Dad had installed beside the front door.


  Suddenly, and without a warning, I felt a knee strike me sharply in a place that God had never intended for boys to be struck. I violently doubled over, which unfortunately meant that my backside went right through that stained glass. Dad failed to see any humor in this, and among other punishments, my brother and I had to pay for a new window.


  The situations in regards to my brothers, was, however, not what I had come to fear the most during my growing up years. The possibility of contracting rabies was the prevailing thought that kept me in a state of hyper-awareness. There seemed to be a lot of chatter surrounding this hateful disease in the seventies and the eighties...or so it seemed to be in my young mind. So much so, that it appeared to me that every time I was turning around, someone was engaged in a conversation about a rabid animal...or, statistics about how rampant the disease was and how likely you were to be bitten by an infected animal. The subject of rabies even seemed to invariably turn into a discussion about someone they knew who recently had started foaming at the mouth, and contracted Lockjaw.


  It didn't help that I grew up on a small farm, and had constant contact with animals. The images in my mind, and the general air of rabies paranoia were not an overall encouragement, either...being highlighted, and becoming the source of Hollywood fare...showcased in such movies as Old Yeller, and the nineteen-eighty three suspense movie Cujo.


   The most worrisome detail, and I think what freaked me out the most, was the dreadful and painful cure to which one would be subjected. I wasn't ever really sure if there was any truth to the rumors, but the urban legend went that the only way to treat the disease was to undergo a series of injections. These shots were administered by use of a large needle and went straight into the abdomen. The details of the cure might have been correct, but as a kid who hated needles of any kind, I hoped with everything that I could muster that I would never have to endure this….and apparently, this seemed to work out because I never did have to undergo the dreaded rabies needle. Eventually, I grew out of my paranoia and went on to other things.


  I remained worry free, concerning the possibility of contracting any form of a disease, until about the age of thirty-eight. I began to hear murmurs of a rare illness that had been labeled as the Upright Bug. The rumor was that those infected by the sudden, and rare disease, would begin to experience great balance, speak clearly, show signs of eating and drinking without choking, have the dexterity to manipulate small objects and other physical non-difficulties.


  At the point in which I became aware of the Upright Bug, I also became aware of how common and widespread it had become. However, before the root of worry even began within me, I learned that a natural resistance to the devastating disease had developed in my body. This particular form of immunity had come to be known as Spinocerebellar Ataxia, but was, as I quickly learned, just a small fraction of a larger group of uninfected people, who had come to be known as The Exceptionally Gifted, or Handicapped for short.


  I have since learned that there are several strains of the Upright Bug. One of those strains infects the host in the same general way as all the other forms, with good balance….etcetera, but which also develops a sense of jealousy within the host, a sense of envy that is aimed towards the Gifted. They begin to manifest this in two different ways. Either they become rude, and act arrogant to the point of cruelty in an effort to mask their true feelings of envy, or they begin to mimic the physically challenged and try to include themselves by taking on, and assuming a certain degree of likeness to those who are truly handicapped.


  These manifestations appear to be rather pathetic, and one comes to almost pity this kind of Uprightly infected. Their attempts at a pure life can be as simple as trying to park in a handicapped parking space. They may say that it is for convenience, or they may appear to be completely uncaring, but I for one am not fooled for a second. They park in those spots purely out of jealousy.


  They may also try to achieve a life of physical limitations by drinking themselves into an inebriated state. As they indulge, they celebrate and have fun, because they know that they are quickly approaching the Gifted, but they always return to an infected reality. Their feeble efforts at impairment have proven to be only temporary. The headaches, and general hangover feelings that these people experience afterward are nothing more than the depression they feel upon this revelation.


  Another form of the Upright Bug is found in a group of individuals that have come to be known as the Passionately Reformed. This unique group is able to walk in both worlds. While dealing with some of the problems that arise in the Upright Bug world, they are also able to walk alongside the Gifted, helping them, and often entering into their world in a way that is truly inspiring.


  The presence of the Passionately Reformed in my life serves as a constant reminder of what the Upright people go through on a daily basis...and that helps to keep me humble.

My thoughts on this subject are continued in chapter 17...

Micróbio Seguro para a máquina de lavar louça

Crescer era por vezes, uma aventura maravilhosa, e outras vezes foi....bem,  parecia estar mais perto de um exercício experimental que nunca mais iria acabar bem. Cresci com dois irmãos mais velhos, que implicavam comigo, e me batiam por inúmeras razões, (as suas razões favoritas, claro, porque  simplesmente eu estava vivo, respirando, e prontamente disponível).

Permita-me explicar o que a palavra "disponível", significa neste contexto. Ambos os meus irmãos acreditavam e apoiavam, o direito de delegar. Poderia ser qualquer coisa, mas, principalmente, era o que eles não queriam fazer, ou uma tarefa considerada de ser indigna do seu tempo. Sendo o irmão mais novo, significava que era o destinatário directo dos seus direitos de delegação, ou, por outras palavras, eu era o incumbido. Então, com isso em mente, o termo disponível significava que não tinha de necessariamente estar presente...eles iriam me procurar.

Claro, havia um factor que envolvia o acto de uma delegação bem-sucedida, que garante que as coisas se passavam sem problemas. E esse factor era simplesmente baseado se meus pais estavam por perto. Os nossos pais delegavam certas tarefas aos meus irmãos mais velhos, que por sua vez iriam passar isso para mim quando os nossos pais saíam á noite.

Os meus pais ainda mal tinham entrado no carro, e a sair da garagem e já ouvia o meu nome. Tenho certeza de que, se a memória não me falha, que esta era uma das únicas vezes que os meus irmãos utilizavam o meu nome. Na verdade, eu cheguei a pensar que eles não sabiam o nome daquele que eles, chateavam...mas isto,  para minha alegria, confirmavam que sim...sim, eles sabiam.

A pergunta óbvia é: porque não me escondia, ou inscrevia-me numa forma de Protecção Federal, ou sair do país, sempre que ouvia os meus pais a planear sair à noite? Qualquer um destes poderia ter funcionado bem, como solução para evitar o problema, uma solução que me ocorre agora, mas, aparentemente não me ocorreu na altura.

Isto aconteceu tantas vezes, que em retrospecto fico muito surpreso comigo mesmo por não  ter tomado mais medidas preventivas. Parece, porém, que eu ou me esquecia entre cada acontecimento, o que já mostra problemas com a minha  memória a curto prazo, ou então fui optimista,  e esperava que as coisas seriam diferentes da próxima vez. Mas nunca foi.

Existem dois tipos de memórias que eu tenho daqueles tempos, e ambas tem origem dentro de uma memória maior. Toda a memória estava baseada num padrão central, que serviu como base principal para a maioria destas memórias. Pouco antes de eles saírem de casa para a noite, os meus pais instruíam o irmão mais velho a fazer certas tarefas necessárias antes de eles  chegarem a casa. Parecia que a louça estava sempre a desempenhar um papel significativo nisto, e nessa noite, em particular, o balcão estava cheio de louça suja que precisaria de ser lavada, seca e arrumada.

Os meus pais não tinham uma máquina de lavar a louça na altura, mas tinham várias máquinas de lavar louça manuais...e os meus irmãos, em particular, tinham uma favorita que gostavam de usar quando meus pais estavam ausentes. É isso mesmo; era eu. Assim que eles saiam à porta para fora, o ritual  começava.

Havia uma outra parte do padrão que eu ainda não mencionei, mas uma que desempenhou um papel significativo na interacção. Essa parte foi a resistência que eu sempre parecia tentar. Isso sempre aconteceu da mesma forma... diziam-me o que fazer, seguido pela minha imediata recusa de cumprir. Eu então, suportava pelo menos, cinco minutos a ser convencido, até que eu concordasse que lavar  toda a louça era um bom plano, e o melhor para todos.

Depois de ser libertado da tortura, eu recuperava a minha inteligência, e corria a gritar que eu não ia fazer o que eles tinham tão gentilmente sugerido. Esta tortura humanitária, era repetida pelo menos mais duas ou três vezes, até eu concordar. Independentemente deste facto, porém, o meu irmão ia achar necessário alterar a persuasão  não-tão-gentil para a próxima fase.

Esta fase foi bastante simples. O meu irmão levava-me ao chão, com os joelhos sobre os meus ombros, e deixava grandes quantidades de cuspo cair da sua boca. Estas enormes bolhas de cuspo chegavam a poucos centímetros da minha cara antes de ele as chupar novamente, evitando temporariamente qualquer desastre, (só algumas vezes ele não foi capaz de chupar o cuspo e caiu sobre mim). Finalmente, com o meu espírito fragilizado um pouco mais do que o normal, eu acabava por ceder às suas exigências.

A primeira memória que se destaca nesta altura é que meu irmão mais velho ignorou torcer o meu braço e em vez disso, foi directo para a ameaça de me fazer comer as suas meias sujas, se eu não fizesse o que ele mandava. Eu, infelizmente, pensei que isso era ridículo e altamente uma ameaça improvável, e assim  ingenuamente, pensei que ele não estava a falar a sério. Ele empurrou-me para baixo, removeu as suas meias sujas e fedorentas, e enfiou-as na minha boca. Apenas me lembro que tinham um ligeiro sabor a frutos secos, juntamente com vários outros sabores desagradáveis, não identificáveis e únicos, e ainda hoje, tenho um gosto a algodão na boca que eu acredito remonta a este acontecimento há quase quarenta e cinco anos atrás.

A segunda memória que tenho, cerca da mesma altura, envolveu o meu outro irmão. Seus dois passatempos favoritos eram brincar com facas afiadas, e atormentar o seu irmão mais novo. Muitas vezes, ele decidia evitar intermediários ...e durante este incidente em particular, ele agitava uma grande faca na minha cara. Eu sabiamente escolhia recuar até que eu não podia recuar mais, porque agora eu estava contra uma parede. Esta impediu-me de recuar mais longe assim como o vitral que o nosso Pai tinha instalado ao lado da porta da frente.

De repente, e sem aviso, senti uma joelhada  num lugar onde Deus nunca tinha destinado que os meninos fossem atingidos. Eu dobrei-me com dores, o que, infelizmente, resultou no meu rabo a enfiar-se através do vitral. O meu pai não conseguiu ver qualquer humor, entre outros castigos, o meu irmão e eu tivemos  que pagar por uma nova janela.

As situações em relação aos meus irmãos, ficou não no que eu tinha mais medo durante a minha infância. A possibilidade de contrair a Raiva era o pensamento dominante que me manteve n um estado de consciência. Parecia haver muita conversa sobre esta odiosa doença nos anos setenta e oitenta ...ou assim eu pensava na minha mente jovem. Geralmente parecia que cada vez que eu estava passando, alguém estava envolvido numa conversa sobre um animal raivoso...ou, estatísticas sobre a frequência da doença, e  a probabilidade de ser mordido por um animal infectado. O assunto da raiva até parecia que invariavelmente se transformava numa discussão sobre alguém que conheciam que recentemente começou a espumar pela boca, e contraiu Tétano.

Não ajudava o facto de eu ter crescido numa pequena fazenda, e tinha contacto constante com os animais. As imagens em minha mente, e a paranóia geral sobre raiva paranóia não foram um incentivo, ganharam até, um lugar de destaque, tornando-se uma fonte de temas para filmes de Hollywood ...apresentando filmes como Old Yeller, e o filme 1983 e três filmes de expectativa  de Cujo.

O detalhe mais preocupante, e eu acho que o que mais me preocupou foi a terrível e dolorosa cura, a que se era submetido. Eu não estava realmente certo se havia alguma verdade nos rumores, mas a lenda urbana era que a única forma de tratar a doença era submeter-se a uma série de injecções. Estas eram administradas utilizando uma agulha grande  directamente no abdómen. Os detalhes da cura pode ter sido correcta, mas como uma criança que odiava agulhas de qualquer tipo, esperava que nunca teria de aguentar isso....e, aparentemente, isto parecia estar a funcionar, porque eu nunca tive de sofrer a temida agulha da raiva. Eventualmente, eu ultrapassei a minha paranóia e segui para outras coisas.

Continuei sem preocupações, sobre a possibilidade de contrair qualquer forma de doença, até aproximadamente a idade de trinta e oito. Eu comecei a ouvir falar de uma doença rara que tinha sido rotulada Micróbio Vertical. O rumor era de que as pessoas infectadas pelas súbitas,  doenças raras, começavam a experienciar um grande desequilíbrio, não falar claramente, mostrar sinais ao comer e beber sem engasgar, tem a destreza para manipular pequenos objectos e outros com dificuldades físicas.

No ponto em que eu me tornei ciente dos Micróbios Verticais, eu também me tornei ciente de como comum e generalizada se tinha tornado. No entanto, antes de a preocupação se enraizar em mim, eu aprendi que uma resistência natural à doença devastadora desenvolveu-se no meu corpo. Esta forma particular de imunidade tinha vindo a ser conhecido como Ataxia Spinocerebelosa, mas foi, como eu rapidamente aprendi, apenas uma pequena fracção de um grupo maior de pessoas não infectadas, se tornem conhecidos como Excepcionalmente Dotados, ou Deficientes para ser breves.

Eu aprendi mais tarde que existem várias estirpes do micróbio Vertical. Uma destas estirpes infecta a pessoa da mesma forma como todas as outras formas, com bom equilíbrio....etc, mas que também desenvolve um sentimento de ciúme dentro da pessoa, um sentimento de inveja, que é voltado para os Superdotados. Eles começam a manifestar isso de duas maneiras diferentes. Eles tornam-se rudes, e actuam arrogantemente a ponto de ser cruel, em um esforço para mascarar seus verdadeiros sentimentos de inveja, ou eles começam a imitar as pessoas portadoras de deficiência e tente incluir-se por assumir, e assumindo certo grau de semelhança para aqueles que são verdadeiramente deficientes.

Essas manifestações parecem estar um pouco patéticas, e quase mostra pena deste tipo de micróbio vertical. As suas tentativas de uma vida pura podia ser tão simples como tentar estacionar num espaço de estacionamento para deficientes. Eles podem dizer que é por conveniência, ou eles podem parecer completamente insensível, mas eu não sou enganado nem por um segundo. Eles estacionam nesses sítios apenas por inveja.

Eles também podem tentar alcançar uma vida de limitações físicas, bebendo até ficarem embriagados. Enquanto eles ficam satisfeitos, celebram e se divertem, porque eles sabem que eles estão rapidamente a aproximar de um Talento, mas voltam sempre para uma realidade infectada. Os seus fracos esforços, de enfraquecimento provaram ser apenas temporário. As dores de cabeça e  sentimentos de ressaca  que essas pessoas sentem depois são nada mais do que a depressão eles se sentem sobre esta revelação.

Outra forma do Micróbio Vertical é encontrada num grupo de indivíduos que têm vindo a ser conhecidos como Apaixonadamente Reformados. Este grupo único é capaz de caminhar em ambos os mundos. Apesar de lidar com alguns dos problemas que surgem no mundo do Micróbio Vertical, eles também são capazes de caminhar lado a lado com o talentoso, ajudá-los, e muitas vezes entrando em seu mundo de uma forma que é verdadeiramente inspirador.

A presença do Apaixonadamente Reformado na minha vida serve como um lembrete constante do que as pessoas infectadas passam no dia a dia...e isso ajuda-me manter a humildade.


Os meus pensamentos sobre esse assunto continuam no capítulo 17...

No comments:

Post a Comment