Sunday, September 3, 2017

The Last Laugh...Based On A True Story...Chapter 13…He Who Laughs Last

Chapter 13.jpeg
A Portuguese version is available beginning at the end of the English version.
This is a link to the audio version www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELbdQcSRItY Words of Jessica Wolfer....  
    One thing I have always been afraid of is falling; now an even bigger fear for me is my dad falling. This fear is one that I am often reminded of daily. Going up or down stairs, getting off a sidewalk, even something like standing up. These are all things that typically people won’t think twice about, but living with someone who is affected by Ataxia, these are things that cause a status of high alert. They draw your attention from what you were doing to make sure everything is fine, make sure no one is falling, everyone is stable. My mother, my siblings, and I have all become attuned to my father and situations that have a higher risk factor of imbalance than others. There are certain things we have learned to do instinctively, that are done for the purpose of trying to make things easier on my dad, almost like unspoken rules between us. For example, we all know that my dad always will have the aisle seat anywhere, that way once the event is finished he doesn’t have to try and navigate through tiny walking spaces. Or even grabbing as much of the groceries as possible, so he doesn’t have very many bags to carry up the stairs. These are some of the little things that the family has grown accustomed to doing, in hopes of making dad's fall rate go down.


                                              …………………………………………….
    


  Over the course of my life, I have experienced an ample amount of opportunities to laugh at myself. The privilege has, on occasion, even provided an opportunity for others to laugh along with me. I have always viewed this fact to be a huge bonus because I very much enjoy the feeling of bringing humor into someone else's day.


  I learned very early on in life that laughter did the opposite of dividing people. Humor brought them together. A good chuckle also seemed to ease any nervousness that I was feeling and helped alleviate the air of tension, or uncertainty. Laughter has always been one of the primary things that have helped me in times of struggle, and self-doubt. It helps me to relax and feel more at ease with a vast number of situations in which I may find myself.


  Take my years in school, for an example.  As a whole, I was not academically minded (please excuse the pun)...and none of the subjects over my fourteen-plus-year career as a student ended up being a favorite of mine....however, the mandatory studies became a lot more tolerable the moment that I first discovered….pretty much on the 1st day of Kindergarten….that I owned the ability to become the class clown. I adopted the role eagerly, immediately jumping in both head first, and feet first, (A contradiction I know, but I also enjoyed pretzels when I was younger, and just wanted to throw the resemblance in there, for your consideration).


  I was told that I had a gift for making other people laugh. If this was true, I've always wondered, does bestowing this gift on others mean that I am essentially re-gifting? If I share a joke that someone else told me, does that person feel bad if they find out that I retold the joke? Do they say to themselves, "I picked out that joke specifically for them, and I wouldn't have told them in the first place if I would have known that they were going to share it, or re-gift it, to other people.”


  In a way, some of the things that I did for the sake of getting laughs when I was younger, were almost prophetic. They seemed to point to the future Jason, and say, " Laugh now funny boy, but you will have Ataxia one day, and what you poke fun at now will very soon become your reality." The pantomimes that I performed in front of my third-grade class come to mind as an example of this theory.


  I would go before the room and execute a three to five-minute one-man routine, which was always an offshoot of the same central theme. I would portray an old man that was slowly sliding off a chair, as he fell further and further into a deep slumber. Sometimes the little old man would slide almost completely off the seat before he woke up, and sometimes he wouldn't wake up until he hit the floor. Wake up he would, though.... and when he did, it was with an exaggerated, very confused and loud flourish.


  My act never failed to produce copious amounts of laughter, and in a lot of ways, it was also an example of an audience-driven performance....because the popularity of the one-man skit wouldn’t last forever, and I just figured that I would keep appearing as the little old man until the ratings tanked.


  But, I had also mentioned that I thought my little third-grade pantomimes were prophetic. This belief has been based on the reality that it is now forty-three years later, and I have a much closer resemblance to that little old man that I portrayed back then. I also have a neurological disease that has now become the chair that I seem to keep sliding out of, and the condition of Ataxia has become my exaggerated and flourished response...whenever I hit the ground. Not if...but when.


  Being a clown at school was one thing, but the realities of a home life with two older brothers brought situations and reactions to my attempts at humor that had a slightly different flavor. When one of my brothers wasn't trying his best to stuff his dirty socks into my less than enthusiastic mouth, or the other brother wasn't waving a sharp knife a hair's breath from my face….they were both reminding me that I wasn't funny.


  For some reason, I was never able to produce any laughter from my older siblings. Even after a highly successful two-day engagement at a local establishment (overnight stay at a friend's house where I had tried out some new material that had gone over very well. My brother's, however, were a tough audience… who didn't appear to have any qualms about heckling, or turning their dislike for the performer (me) into a painfully physical objection.


  Being funny on demand is very tough, and it never came easily to me….especially when one of my brothers would...uh, request it. Usually, they would first read something that a classmate had written in one of my yearbooks...something along the lines of my humor. Then one, or the other brother (they were interchangeable where sibling torture was concerned) would then declare that they'd never heard me say anything amusing and that I needed to make them laugh within the next two seconds. I either reached down deep within myself, and pulled out a very poignant, " Uh...uh....", or I said something that I can't remember, but which ended up causing me significant amounts of regret and personal pain.


  Through the years, I have been able to bring all the humor from my childhood forward into my adult years...and have even managed to shape a healthy portion of it into sarcasm. In my current state of adulthood (a debatable subject I'm told) I have also established and opened a very clear line of communication with myself. Sarcasm and self-talk go hand in hand, as I am usually quite sarcastic with myself. It is one of the areas where my sarcasm is put to the most use.


  Included in those moments of irony with myself, would be things like, "Wow Jason, that was a magnificent idea...yes, most excellent indeed"! This phrase would be said to myself immediately after falling, for any vast number of reasons, (go ahead...pick a reason, I've probably fallen because of it). Almost every time, though, it's because I have been trying to do something that I should know better than to attempt.


  Sometimes there is a slight air of frustration mixed in with the sarcasm, as in, "#$%&@# perfect"! This statement of mixed happiness with myself would be said whenever I dropped something or was attempting to do a task for the fourth time…. one that most two-year-olds quickly seem to be able to do the first time. Sometimes this is said with a smile on my face so that occasionally I will even fool myself into wondering, "What, are you really serious...it was perfect?"


  But, I do try to maintain a good sense of humor and spend a lot of my day finding the humor in my situation. No, it's not always easy, but as they say, laughter is the best medicine. I just hope that some of the large pharmaceutical companies don't find out about this. If they hear that laughter is truly the best medicine, then I'm afraid that they might try to patent it, put it in pill form, and try to sell it to use at astronomically high prices. Most insurances, and for sure Medicare, wouldn't cover it either because laughter would most likely be viewed as a life choice and one that was only needed recreationally. Either it would be one of these...or they will refuse to pay for laughter because it will be deemed to be a pre-existing condition.


  In an effort made by these corporations to maximize their profits, I'm sure that the laughter available to us would not even be sold in its pure form. Most likely, it would be about fifteen-percent pure raw and uncut humor; that was mixed with various other fillers… some of which would cause horrendous side effects like uncontrollable bodily noises. I, for one, do not need any help in this department from a pill.

  I feel that maintaining the ability to laugh at myself, even in the light of a neurological disease, helps me to stay in control. My SCA might be able to dictate how a situation may go, or how I may react initially, but it cannot and will not influence my overall outlook, or attitude. I think, that in light of my Ataxia, humor's biggest encouragement to me is the knowledge that it will always be there to provide the last laugh. Not for SCA...but for me.


Ele que ri por último.


As palavras de Jessica Wolfer....  
    Eu sempre tive medo de cair; agora o meu grande medo é do meu pai cair. Este medo é que me vem à mente diariamente. Subir ou descer escadas, sair do passeio, mesmo algo como estar de pé. Estas são todas as coisas que geralmente não preocupam as pessoas, mas se viver com alguém que é afectado por Ataxia, estas são coisas que podem causar um estado de preocupação. Isto tira a sua atenção do que está a fazer, para se certificar de que está tudo bem, certificar que ninguém caiu, e todos estão bem. A minha mãe, os meus irmãos, e eu estamos todos atentos, ao meu pai e situações de possível risco de desequilíbrio. Há certas coisas que aprendemos a fazer instintivamente, que são feitas com a finalidade de tentar facilitar as coisas para o meu pai, tipo de regras que nem é preciso falar entre nós. Por exemplo, todos nós sabemos que o meu pai prefere sempre o assento no corredor em qualquer lugar, de que maneira a facilitar a sua saída quando o evento terminar, para ele não ter que tentar andar entre as cadeiras em pequenos espaços. Ou ainda pegar a maior parte dos sacos de compras, para ele não ter muitos sacos para transportar pelas escadas. Estas são algumas das pequenas coisas que a família se acostumou a fazer, na esperança de diminuir as quedas do pai.


                                              …………………………………………….
    


  No decorrer da minha vida, eu vivenciei uma grande quantidade de oportunidades de me rir de mim mesmo. Este privilégio tem, de vez em quando, até mesmo proporcionado uma oportunidade de outros se rirem comigo. Eu vi sempre este facto como uma mais-valia, porque gosto muito da sensação de trazer humor ao dia-a-dia dos outros.


  Eu aprendi muito cedo na vida que  o riso fazia o oposto de dividir as pessoas. Humor unia-os. Uma boa risota também parecia atenuar qualquer nervosismo que estava a sentir e ajudava a aliviar o ar de tensão, ou de incerteza. O riso sempre foi uma ajuda principal para mim nos  tempos de luta e dúvidas pessoais. Isso ajuda-me a relaxar e a sentir-se mais à vontade com um vasto número de situações em que me possa encontrar.


  Por exemplo, os meus anos na escola.  De certa forma, não tinha espírito académico  (desculpem o trocadilho)...e nenhuma das disciplinas acima dos catorze nos meus anos de carreira académica acabou por ser a minha favorita....no entanto, a obrigatoriedade de estudos tornou-se muito mais tolerável no momento em que  descobri....praticamente no 1º dia do jardim-de-infância....que possuía a capacidade de me tornar no palhaço da turma. Eu adoptei o papel com ansiedade, e atirei-me de cabeça, e com os pés também, (Um paradoxo, eu sei, mas eu também gostava de salgadinhos quando era mais jovem, e só queria mostrar a semelhança, para sua consideração).


  Foi-me dito que eu tinha o dom de fazer outras pessoas rir. Se isto fosse verdade, eu imaginava,  que oferecendo este presente a outros, quer dizer que eu estou essencialmente oferecer novamente? Se eu contar uma piada que alguém me contou, isso fará a pessoa sentir-se mal se descobrir que eu contei a piada? Será que ele diz: "eu escolhi aquela piada especificamente para ele, e não a teria dito, em primeiro lugar, se eu soubesse que ele a ia repetir, ou oferecer a outras pessoas."


  De certa forma, algumas das coisas que eu fiz para obter sorrisos, quando eu era mais jovem, foram quase proféticos. Pareciam apontar para o futuro Jason, e dizer, " Ri agora menino engraçado, mas um dia vais sofrer de Ataxia, e do que fazes troça hoje, muito em breve, vai ser a tua realidade." Os teatrinhos que eu fiz à frente da minha turma do terceiro ano vêm à mente, como um exemplo desta teoria.


  Eu entrava em cena durante três a cinco minutos, solo a representar algo que tivesse a ver com o tema central. Eu representava um velho que deslizava da cadeira lentamente conforme adormecia num  sono cada vez mais profundo. Por vezes, o velhote quase caía fora da cadeira, antes de acordar, e às vezes não acordava até  bater no chão. Ele acordava, e quando isso acontecia, era com barulho exagerado, e muito confuso que ele se levantava.


  O meu acto, nunca deixou de produzir muitos risos, e de uma certa forma, isto também era um exemplo do desempenho da audiência....porque a popularidade de uma cena solo não iria durar para sempre, e achei que iria continuar a aparecer como um velhote até que as avaliações parem.


  Mas, eu também tinha mencionado que pensava que os meus teatros do terceiro ano foram proféticos. Esta crença baseia-se na realidade que é, agora, quarenta e três anos mais tarde, e eu tenho muito mais semelhança com o velhote que retratei na altura. Eu também tenho uma doença neurológica, que agora se tornou a cadeira fora da qual eu deslizo, e a Ataxia tornou-se a minha resposta exagerada ...sempre que chegue ao chão. Não se...mas quando.


  Ser palhaço na escola era uma coisa, mas a realidade de uma vida em casa com os dois irmãos mais velhos trouxe situações e reacções às minhas tentativas de humor que tinha um sabor ligeiramente diferente. Quando um dos meus irmãos não estava a tentar  o seu melhor para colocar as suas meias sujas na minha pouco entusiasmada boca, ou o outro irmão não estava acenando com uma faca afiada, muito perto do meu  rosto....os dois estavam a lembrar-me que eu não tinha graça nenhuma.


  Por algum motivo, eu nunca fui capaz de fazer rir os meus irmãos mais velhos. Mesmo depois de uma actuação  de dois dias, bem-sucedida, num estabelecimento local (pernoitei na casa de um amigo onde eu mostrei um material novo que foi muito bem aceite). Os meus irmãos, no entanto, eram um público muito exigente... que não tinham qualquer escrúpulo em me interrogar, ou mostrar o seu desagrado pelo artista (eu) numa dolorosamente objecção física.


  Ser engraçado sempre que solicitado é muito difícil, e isso nunca foi fácil para mim....especialmente quando um dos meus irmãos...uh, o solicitava. Geralmente, primeiro  liam qualquer coisa  que um colega tinha escrito num dos meus anuários...algo que fosse humorístico. De seguida, um dos outros irmãos (eles alternavam-se no caso de torturar um irmão) dizia, então, ou declaravam que eles nunca me ouviram dizer nada engraçado e que eu tinha  de os fazer rir, dentro de dois segundos. Eu olhava profundamente dentro de mim, e dizia uma muito comovente, " Uh...uh....", ou dizia algo que não me consigo lembrar, mas que acabou por me causar quantidades significativas de arrependimento e dor física.


  Com o passar dos anos, eu tenho sido capaz de trazer todo o humor da minha infância para a  minha vida adulta...e até mesmo consegui formar uma parte desta em sarcasmo. No meu estado actual na idade adulta (um assunto discutível, foi-me dito) eu também estabeleci e abri uma linha, muito clara, de comunicação comigo mesmo. O sarcasmo e falar para mim mesmo, são normais, porque em geral sou bastante sarcástico comigo mesmo. É uma das áreas onde o meu sarcasmo é utilizado.


  Incluído nos momentos de ironia comigo mesmo, como por exemplo, "Wow Jason, isso foi  uma ideia magnífica...de facto, a mais excelente"! Esta frase seria dita a mim mesmo imediatamente depois de uma queda, por um grande número de razões, (vá lá...escolha uma razão, provavelmente já caí por causa dela). Quase sempre, é porque eu estou a tentar fazer alguma coisa que eu deveria saber que não deveria tentar.


  Às vezes, há um pouco de frustração misturada com o sarcasmo, como em "#$%&@# perfeito"! Esta declaração de mista de felicidade comigo próprio poderia ser dito sempre que eu deixava cair alguma coisa ou tentava fazer uma tarefa, pela quarta vez.... quando a maioria das crianças com dois anos rapidamente conseguem  fazer á primeira vez. Às vezes digo isso com um sorriso no meu rosto, e  às vezes, eu até me engano a mim mesmo questionando, "o Quê, tem a certeza...foi perfeito?"


  Mas, eu tento manter um bom sentido de humor e passo grande parte do meu dia a encontrar humor na minha situação. Não, não é sempre fácil, mas como se diz, rir é o melhor remédio. Eu só espero que algumas das grandes Empresas Farmacêuticas não descubram isto. Se eles descobrirem que o riso é realmente o melhor remédio, então tenho medo que eles possam tentar patenteá-lo, colocá-lo em forma de pílula, e tentar vendê-lo a preços astronomicamente altos. A maioria dos seguros, e com certeza o Medicare, não vão cobri-lo, porque o riso seria  provavelmente visto como uma opção de vida e que só foi necessário recreativamente. Ou seria um desses...ou eles vão se recusar a pagar para o riso, porque vai ser considerado uma condição pré-existente.


  Num esforço feito por essas empresas para maximizar os seus lucros, tenho a certeza de que o riso disponível para nós, não seria vendido em forma pura. O mais provável é que seria de cerca de quinze por cento puro, cru e sem censura de humor; que foi misturado com várias outras substâncias... alguns dos quais poderiam causar efeitos colaterais horríveis como ruídos corporais incontroláveis. Eu, por exemplo, não preciso de qualquer ajuda de uma pílula, neste departamento.


  Eu sinto que manter a capacidade de rir de mim mesmo, mesmo à luz de uma doença neurológica, ajuda-me a estar em controlo. A SCA pode ser capaz de ditar como a situação pode evoluir, ou como eu devo reagir inicialmente, mas não pode e não vai influenciar a minha visão ou atitude geral. Eu acho, que, na da minha visão de Ataxia, o maior incentivo do humor para mim, é o conhecimento de que ele sempre vai lá estar  para se rir por último. Não para a SCA...mas para mim.

No comments:

Post a Comment