Sunday, September 17, 2017

The Last Laugh...Based On A True Story...Chapter 15 Full Disclosure

Chapter 15.jpeg

The audio version is available here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdgGWw3VGgU
A Portuguese version is available at the end of the English version.

Words of  Megan Wolfer…


    After many years of training, I think I have obtained a 6th sense. This being that I can pick out any obstacle that might be challenging for my dad. I can see it from miles away and then figure out different routes to avoid such obstacles. I also know that sometimes I will need to walk closer to him in case I need to grab his arm for stability. I’ve also become very good at reading his movements. I can tell when a situation might escalate and result in my Dad falling before it happens. Now the trick is actually moving in, in time to stop it from happening. I don’t even realize that I do these things anymore. It has become a regular habit to watch out for him. Even though he probably doesn’t like this sort of attention. He is very sneaky sometimes. Being the selfless person that he is, he doesn’t like to make us worry any more than we already do; so he doesn’t tell us about falls and injuries that happen when we aren’t around. Little does he know that this has heightened our senses even more. Now we look for any signs that he may be hurting in case he decides to keep secrets from us.  


                                            ………………………………………..


    I'd like to recommend that it be made an official rule that any new diagnoses of SCA would also come with a document of permission, or a user agreement. I didn’t receive any such forms….but believe that they could have been extremely helpful. I think that doing so could be a positive step for future generations because providing this kind of document would consist of a full disclosure of all the ins and outs of the condition...therefore a well-informed decision could then be made. I can't seem to fathom a situation in which anybody would actually sign one of these neurological documents…..but, I guess you never know.

 It just seems that everywhere we turn, and before we can engage in a growing number of activities, we need to first sign a variation of a user agreement, or at least acknowledge that we read one…. which, in varying forms of legalized wording, declares that we have now read and understood the governing rules. Unfortunately, like a lot of other people, I usually don't take the time to read any of these lengthy waivers before I sign them. Most of these various forms of waivers are standard, and if anything I might skim the document before I commit. But, you can bet that I'd have thoroughly scrutinized beforehand any document of consent that was about a life-changing neurological disease….. and you can believe that I would have had some questions for the Doctor.


  "Uh…. Doc, I can't help noticing that the second paragraph on the first page says something about deceitful nerves….something called neuropathy? Yeah….I think that's one area where I will be requiring a little more information…...." And, I imagine, the Doctor would have tried to answer this question in a medical way that I probably wouldn't have completely understood.


  It may be a hard medical concept to explain, or understand if, let's say, your goal is to have a clear and accurate picture of the inner workings of the body. If you want a quick and easy explanation, then it's quite simple, and can be explained in easy to understand terms. So, let me break it down for you: The town sheriff (Cerebellum) has had his hours cut by the town or city board (Neurological Disease), and the pillars of the community (Nerves) have begun to experience some new freedoms. Some of these community pillars (again Nerves) have decided to express their new freedoms by acting in a contrary and unseemly manner (Neuropathy), which leads to participation in acts of civil unrest (weird and random pains).


  I have decided that the best kind of descriptive name for this sort of phenomenon would be, The Winds Of Neuropathy. Just like regular winds, these types of winds can range anywhere from dark and violent, to a constant whisper (I would have said gentle whisper, but gentle is not a word that has anything to do with these particular winds).


  My interactions with the "winds" have proved them to be random, relentless, frustrating, very distracting, and in general, an immense pain in the…(fill in space),......and yes, all these are true and are usually happening at the same time. Gentle, though? No, not even close.


  I never saw this kind of disclosure on any document, or user agreement beforehand. There are other areas in which the possession of any foreknowledge would have been very useful, and potentially changed the outcome. These include eating, awkwardness in crowded social gatherings, driving a car, walking on uneven ground, and trying to move gracefully in tight spaces (and when I say tight spaces I mean any situation that provides me with less than a two-foot buffer zone on any given side).


  There is a possibility though, that this is the whole point. If all of the conditions pertaining to future challenges, and frustrations were first spelled out for us on a document, none of us would have ever accepted them. I know that I would have never signed on the bottom line when I had first read the SCA sales pitch. That is, of course......


  Unless all of the positives had also been clearly spelled out. Even so, this does not mean that I am saying that I definitely would have signed up for a lifetime supply of Ataxia. No, not at all....but I do want to make it clear that I am acknowledging that there have also been some positives that have come out of my handicap. It has slowed me down and given me more time to reflect on my life and the lives around me. It has made me a more thoughtful, compassionate, and understanding person.


  I have met through social media and many support groups, literally hundreds of people from around the world that I would never have had the cause to reach out to, before a diagnosis of SCA. I will not assume to speak for anyone else, when I say that, in light of these things….I think that there have definitely been a few even trade-offs.


  Again, though, this is all in hindsight….because as far as I know, no pre-existing form will provide us with full disclosure. The way that I see it is, that it's not about what I knew before my SCA….It's what I've learned after, and how I choose to live with this knowledge.


   But maybe...just maybe, there could be a childhood vaccine for Ataxia.


    I didn't get my first cavity until I was nineteen. Why, exactly, am I telling you this? Well...it is not because I'm thinking that this is information that you necessarily need to know. Nor can I imagine that you might need this knowledge if you ever find yourself entrenched in a heated game of Trivial Pursuit. If you will indulge me...and hang with me for just a few minutes, I think then you will understand in which direction I am heading...and hopefully it will turn out to be something that you can really sink your teeth into.


    I truly believe that my lack of childhood cavities was due to the fact that I grew up in a home where personal hygiene and dental care were very important. From as far back as I can remember my mother would give my brothers and I a small fluoride pill every morning.

   If I could have taken a small anti-Ataxia pill when I was a kid…..maybe my body would have developed an enamel that would have kept the rotting cavity of SCA from forming….it’s a nice thought, anyway.


A divulgação completa


As palavras de Megan Wolfer...


  Depois de muitos anos de treino, eu acho que adquiri um 6º sentido. Isso quer dizer que eu consigo identificar qualquer obstáculo que possa ser desafiante para o meu pai. Eu consigo distingui-lo a quilómetros de distância e, em seguida, encontrar rotas alternativas, para evitar esses obstáculos. Eu sei também que às vezes necessito de andar mais perto dele, caso precise de segurar o seu braço para lhe dar mais estabilidade. Também me tornei muito bom a entender os seus movimentos. Eu consigo adivinhar quando uma situação pode levar o meu Pai a cair, antes que isso aconteça. Agora, o truque é, na verdade, estar lá, a tempo de impedir que isso aconteça. Eu nem dou conta que faço isso automaticamente. Tornou-se um hábito regular, estar atento a ele. Apesar de ele provavelmente não gostar deste tipo de atenção. Ele é, por vezes, muito sorrateiro. Sendo a pessoa altruísta que ele é, não gosta de nos preocupar mais do que já fazemos, por isso ele não nos conta sobre quedas e lesões que acontecem quando não estamos lá. Ele não faz ideia que nos pôs mais alerta. Agora procuramos qualquer sinal de que ele possa não estar bem, ou caso ele esteja a esconder alguma coisa de nós.  


                                            ………………………………………..

    Acho que deveria recomendar que seja feita uma regra oficial, que o diagnóstico de SCA venha também com um documento de autorização, ou de um acordo de utilizador. Eu não recebi esses documentos ....mas confesso que teriam  sido extremamente úteis. Eu acho que isso poderia ser um passo positivo para as gerações futuras, porque apresentar este tipo de documentos consistia de uma divulgação completa de todos os prós e contras desta condição..., poderíamos tomar decisões bem informadas. Eu não consigo imaginar uma situação em que alguém, na verdade, assinaria um desses documentos neurológicos mas, talvez, quem sabe.
 Parece que para o lado que nos viramos,  e antes de nos envolvermos num grande número de actividades, precisamos primeiro assinar uma variação de um acordo de utilizador, ou pelo menos reconhecer que fizemos a sua leitura .... que, em várias formas de linguagem legal, declara que já lemos e compreendemos os princípios que a regem. Infelizmente, como muitas outras pessoas, eu não costumo gastar tempo a ler esses longos formulários antes de os assinar. A maioria desses formulários são todos iguais, e talvez eu apenas daria uma olhadela no documento antes de o assinar. Mas, pode ter a certeza que eu teria examinado em profundidade, antes de assinar qualquer documento de consentimento sobre uma doença neurológica, que pode mudar a vida..... e acredite que eu teria algumas perguntas a fazer ao Médico.

  "Uh.... Doutor, eu não posso deixar de notar que o segundo parágrafo na primeira página diz algo sobre  nervos a funcionar mal....algo chamado de neuropatia? Sim....Eu acho que é uma área onde eu exijo um pouco mais de informação......." E, imagino, o Médico tentaria responder a esta questão  em termos clínicos e eu provavelmente não teria entendido tudo.

  Talvez seja um conceito clínico difícil de explicar, ou entender, se, por exemplo  o seu objectivo é ter uma imagem clara e precisa do funcionamento interno do corpo. Se deseja uma explicação rápida e fácil, então é muito simples, e pode ser explicado em termos fáceis de entender. Então, deixe-me explicar: O Chefe da cidade (Cerebelo) sofreu um corte no seu horário, cortado pela gerência da cidade  (Doença Neurológica), e os pilares da comunidade (Nervos) começaram a experimentar algumas novas liberdades. Alguns destes pilares da comunidade (novamente Nervos) decidiram expressar as suas novas liberdades, agindo ao contrário e de forma  imprópria (Neuropatia), o que leva a participação em actos de distúrbios civis (estranho aleatório e dores).

  Decidi que o melhor tipo de nome descritivo para esta espécie de fenómeno de ser, Os Ventos da Neuropatia. Assim como os ventos normais, esse tipo de ventos podem variar desde sombrios e violentos, para um sussurro constante (eu teria dito sussurro suave, mas suave, não é uma palavra que tem alguma coisa a ver com estes ventos).

  Minhas interacções com os "ventos" provou que estes são aleatórios, implacáveis, frustrantes, muito perturbadores, e, em geral, uma imensa chatice,......e sim, todos esses são verdadeiros e acontecem ao mesmo tempo. Gentil, embora? Não, não chega nem de perto.

  Eu nunca vi, inicialmente, esse tipo de divulgação em nenhum  documento, ou do contrato do utilizador. Existem outras áreas em que o conhecimento prévio teria sido muito útil, e, possivelmente alterado o resultado. Estes incluem comer, constrangimento em  encontros sociais com muita gente, conduzir um carro, caminhar num terreno irregular, e tentar movimentar-se graciosamente em espaços apertados (e quando eu digo espaços apertados, quero dizer, qualquer situação que me fornece a menos de dois metros de zona livre para qualquer dos lados).

  Existe a possibilidade, porém, que isto é a ideia. Se todas as condições relativas aos desafios do futuro, e frustrações nos fossem indicados num documento, previamente,  nenhum de nós teria aceitado. Eu sei que eu nunca teria assinado na linha do fundo, depois de ler o que vinha incluído na compra de SCA. Que é, claro......

  A não ser que todos os pontos positivos também tinham sido claramente enunciados. Mesmo assim, isso não significa que eu estou a dizer que definitivamente me inscreveria num programa de Ataxia para toda a vida. Não, não....mas quero deixar claro que estou a reconhecer que tem havido, também, alguns pontos positivos resultantes desta deficiência. Ela tornou-me mais vagaroso e deu-me mais tempo para reflectir sobre a minha vida e a dos outros que vivem á minha volta. Tornou-me numa pessoa mais atenciosa, com compaixão e compreensiva.

  Eu já conheci através das comunicações sociais muitos grupos de apoio, literalmente, centenas de pessoas de todo o mundo que nunca teria conhecido antes do diagnóstico da SCA. Eu não vou assumir  estar a falar em nome de ninguém, quando digo que, à luz destas coisas....Eu acho definitivamente existem alguma vantagens.

  Novamente, embora, isso tudo é, em retrospectiva....porque tanto quanto sei, nenhum formulário com informação prévia ia nos proporcionar a informação completa. A maneira como eu vejo é que não se trata da minha informação antes da minha SCA....mas sim o que eu aprendi depois, e como decido viver com esse conhecimento.

   Mas talvez...apenas talvez, poderia haver uma vacina na infância para a Ataxia.

    Eu só tive primeira cavidade nos dentes aos dezanove anos de idade. Porque estou a contar isto, a vocês, exactamente? Bem...não é porque acho que esta informação é   necessariamente precisa para si. Nem imaginar  que vai precisar deste conhecimento se alguma vez estiver num jogo desafiante de Trivial Pursuit. Se me der licença... preste atenção durante alguns minutos, eu acho que vai entender até onde eu quero chegar, ...e espero que vai ser algo que você realmente vai gostar.

    Eu realmente acredito que a minha falta de cavidades nos dentes na infância, foi graças ao facto de ter crescido  numa casa onde a higiene pessoal e cuidados dentários foram muito importantes. Desde que me lembro a minha mãe dava-nos a mim e aos meus irmãos, um comprimido pequeno de flúor todas as manhãs.

   Se pudesse ter tomado um pequeno comprimido anti-Ataxia quando era criança.....talvez o meu corpo teria desenvolvido um,  cito, esmalte, que evitava o apodrecimento da cavidade do SCA, ....era uma boa ideia, de qualquer maneira.

No comments:

Post a Comment