Wednesday, July 16, 2014

I Can't Find The Reset Button!

here is a link to the audio version, in case you would rather listen to this blog: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTpOPbufh6I


    I found myself at a place the other day where I was pondering on all the individual, and various, gizmos, gadgets, and high tech things that have become a part of my life. To be more specific, I was pondering on all the times that a said piece of tech, one in which I had come to rely on, would not turn on or function correctly. This is a phenomenon that seems to be tied directly to Murphy's Law, as it always seems to happen at the most inopportune time.

    I was imaging how convenient it would be to be able to schedule these break-downs in advance since we all know that these things are inevitable.  If a piece of equipment, say, like your smartphone, would just be upfront with you when you set it up for the first time. It would be a very helpful feature if it would tell you beforehand that after the first week, after you have gotten it all set-up the way you like it...with all the applications installed that you want to use and arranged in a pleasing way...that it was going to experience a glitch, resulting in the need to do a reset and the loss of your customized set-up.

    Being forewarned would be very helpful. Just think about how handy it would be if you knew beforehand that your tech would fail on a specific day, at a particular time. You would be better prepared, probably even have a plan to deal with or fix the issue.


Yep! That's my plan.....the only problem is that with my Ataxia I would more than likely miss,(even at this range), and either hit myself in the forehead first or put a huge dent in the table.


    There were times, in the past, where all I needed to do was only to push a reset button or to hold two buttons in sequence, like the volume up button and the start button at the same time, for example. But this is just not the case with the various disorders of the body, namely my Ataxia.

    At least, as of the current date, I haven't located any little portholes, like behind my ear, that I can stick a bent paper clip into and have my balance put back to factory specifications. Nor have I yet to discover any combination of movements or body manipulations, like sticking out my tongue while squeezing my nose, that will enable me to speak clearly.

    I find at times that if my PC is acting wonky, (a technical way of describing an electronic glitch...really...look it up), it needs to be re-started, or re-booted. This ability would really come in handy and be an excellent way to explain my Ataxia, as in,"Just hang on a second George, I need to do a quick brain re-boot and I'll be right with you."

    There also may be a need from time to time to run a system defragmentation because there is very minimal available free Ram left in the system to keep everything running smoothly.  Or there may be times when the PC becomes choppy, begins to lag, and/or hang-up (three more highly technical terms). I guess the closest thing to an "Ataxia De-Frag." is getting enough sleep at night.

    I have discovered the universal truth that I believe most Ataxians have found, that rest is essential. I usually start my day early and have energy, or enough available system Ram, to get needed chores done. I try to cram as many things as possible before one to one-thirty in the afternoon because that's about the time that the system begins to hang up, and there starts to be some severe scattering of available resources.

    It starts to look as if there is an impending danger of a complete system crash, and by the end of the day, depending on how much I have done during that day and exerted myself, I am merely DONE! Being able to get 7 to 8 hours of sleep at night acts as a system cleaning or a system reboot for me.

    During the day all my resources become scattered, fragmented and used up. At night all these systems are brought back together in one meeting room for yet another in a long series of pep talks. The problem is that every night fewer system administrators are being found to come to the meetings.

    Yep....I'm slowly running out of Ram and the only expanding going on is not tied to more memory, or processing power, but to calories.

     I'm in need of a reset button, but I just can't seem to find one.

    












.




No comments:

Post a Comment