Thursday, July 23, 2020

"Quickly", Is Now A Relative Term...



     I have been living and negotiating with SpinoCerebellar Ataxia for seventeen-years now...and for the last several of those years...I have referred to my Ataxia as an unwanted guest, a bully, and an interloper, to name a few. I also gave my neurological-menace a name...Brutus. I consider my constant companion to be male...but also stated that I wish the neurological freeloader was actually a female instead...simply so there was a chance that I might get an,"I'm sorry...as she joyfully and gleefully pushed me down the stairs or unceremoniously tripped me.

     And, even though I am adapting to the new "life-style" fairly well...one thing that is a reoccurring frustration for me is the disconnect between my,"I-can-do-that-quickly-brain"...and the actual,"you-will need to make several attempts-brain". The latest example of this just happened a few days ago. My wife and I had locked the house, gotten into the car and were prepared to leave...when suddenly I remembered that there was something in the house that I would need for this trip...but had forgotten to bring. I boldly stated that I would quickly pop inside and be right out. Ten minutes later...as I finally managed to insert the key and open the door...I realized that, once again, I had way over-estimated my abilities. 

    At least this miss-placed confidence always produces the same outcome...that's something, anyway. I am learning that my definition of "quickly" now needs to possess more of a resemblance to a two-out-of-three round of chess match that has gone into extra innings...than the speed that is implied by that term. 

12 comments: