Thursday, March 20, 2014

Care To Super-Size That Mess?


here is a link to the audio version, in case you would rather listen to this blog: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP2pncf1Dxw

    I've always, always made a big mess...even before I was diagnosed with Cerebellar Ataxia. Messes were just part of the cooking experience, especially when it came to being in the kitchen. In nineteen-eighty-six, I attended a Culinary Institute in Portland, OR. and could spill, slop, and/or drop food that I was preparing with the best of them. But post-diagnosis? That puts me in a whole another class my friends,(think Swedish Chef from the Muppets). To me, good tasting food has become synonymous with the need to do some serious clean-up. I have just accepted that things are going to get, um....interesting. Anyway, it seems like the harder I try to keep things tidy and the counters clean the worse it gets. So why fight it? I think I'll just go with it, and so......

    I am seriously thinking of opening up a restaurant that I would name Che'SpaZtic's. The theme would be, Where friends are always welcome, and the food is always flying. Everything would be made and cooked in a big glass-encased room that would be in a central location and surrounded by the dining room so that everyone would have, and enjoy, a view of the kitchen. This would serve a dual purpose. Watching food being prepared, and thrown around, by the cook staff would be an educational experience, but would also provide the night's entertainment. So, Che'SpaZtic's would sort of be like going to a dinner theater, and there would, of course, be a cover charge as such. All drinks would be personally shaken simply by default, not stirred, and the water glasses would be double the size of the standard water glass that you would get at a regular sit down restaurant. That way, by the time the waitperson arrives at your table, and half the water has sloshed out while they walked, you will still receive a nice amount of ice water. There will not be a dress code, however since I will be there, the use of rubber clothing or bibs would be strongly encouraged and available for rent from a kiosk in the front foyer. And, of course, there would be a theme night. The most popular of which I predict would be food-fight night, although I can't figure out how to make that night any more distinguishable than most regular nights at Che'SpaZtics.


    The only question I have is.....Now that you know the hazards and potential perils of being around me.....would you spend an evening at that restaurant? Leave me a comment; I'd like to hear your thoughts.

4 comments:

  1. As long as get to where an apron to protect my clothes or wear clothes that aren't anything special, I be there! It might be entertaining. See how much food you can duck out of the way from and you get a coupon for25% off your next meal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was told from a mutual relative that you are a fantastic chief. So if and when you open your restaurant I would not mind driving from Calif to taste your culinary skills. So let the water roll and food fly .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Jason,

    Thanks for your blog!
    I read for the first time, something i recognized. ( You story about your nights forinstance. And about more)

    Your writings and openly dealing with it ( your life with Ataxia ) in these stories, makes my own situation more real:)
    You make it possible to see my own situation from a distance. This is needed, i feel, to be able to really relax a little since a long time.

    Pff, what a stress it creates, this illness ( i am a beginner). It is scarey to lose your balance. Getting used to the risk of falling.
    The other day i went to a homeopathic doctor. ( besides my regular doctors in the Academic hospital). After a long talk he came up with Gelsmium. Its a homeopathic medicin against a fear of falling (litteraly and figuratively)


    Anyhow i wanted to let you know that your blog is read by another Ataxia person who gets support from it, you. Thanks!

    Beye,
    Klara

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete