Friday, November 28, 2014

Soapbox....Preaching To The Choir

here is a link to the audio version, in case you would rather listen to this blog: www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqBwCzRWmzo

Okay, that's it, I am going to have to climb up onto my soapbox, and anybody with a Neurological condition will understand why. This ranting, or observation...to put it more politely, is for everyone else that we encounter in our everyday lives out there in the general public. And before I go any further, I will point out that it is not a literal soapbox that I am climbing onto. To do that I would have to install grab bars first so that I could pull myself up, and once I got up there, I would need to have railings erected all the way around the soapbox so that I wouldn't fall off. The whole ordeal is really simply just to exhausting to even contemplate, so I am going to have to ask you, my readers, and listeners, (and those who are currently not doing either....figure that one out), to use your imagination and just simply envision that I am standing on a platform, when in reality I am really comfortably, and safely sitting in front of my computer.

The very subject of falling off a soapbox, when others who have a fully functioning Cerebellum and muscular system would be able to step right up without a problem, is the subject of this writing. Because, short of hiring a twelve-piece minstrel ensemble that includes a flute and a tambourine to march before me, announcing me with a little musical ditty, I'm really not sure of what else to do. By the way, that little musical number that I just mentioned? I envision it to go something like this:
                                 Herest doth come an Ataxian man-
                                           you really doth need be as polite ast thou can.......
                                 I know what yer thinkin-
                                           that this boy has been drinkin......
                                 That there's a reason he slurs-
                                           and that his sight doth blurs......
                                 But we are here as his defender-
                                           the lad is not on a bender....
                                 He simply has a condition-
                                           that should not raise your suspicion.....
                                 If you would take care of yourself-
                                           and not always assume the worst...
                                 If you would pay attention-
                                           and mind your affairs first....
                                 you would see no problem-
                                           indeed no need to fret......
                                 you could go on with your day-
                                           there would be no need to sweat!


It is frustrating to me, because most people will see someone miss step, or lose their balance, or act in any way that is outside  the perception of normal and just assume that they are drunk or under the influence of a drug. Since I have begun to struggle physically, I find that I do not immediately assume this to be the explanation when I see someone who is having a difficult time. I also know that probably eighty-five to ninety percent of the time that the cause for erratic behavior IS alcohol or drug related. In fact, public intoxication is a frequent happening, and most of the time people are correct in assuming that someone is behaving under the influence. Just the other night a woman was driving on the wrong side of the freeway close to where I live. She was drunk, and she ended up hitting and killing another driver.  Unfortunately a high percentage of the time, alcohol is a reasonable or feasible explanation, but certainly not in EVERY circumstance.

I know that my little blog is going to do nothing to change the public perception, but for those of us who are affected, or are physically compromised in some way, I would urge you to give people the benefit of the doubt because you know what it's like. Enough said, I am going to step down from my figurative soapbox now. Be safe everyone, and again, thank you to all....your support and friendship is very appreciated.




,



No comments:

Post a Comment