Sunday, August 13, 2017

The Last Laugh...Based On A True Story...Chapter 10...Conflict Of Catch Phrases

Chapter 10.JPG


This blog has also been translated into Portuguese and is below, following the English version.
This is the link to the audio version: www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuHi5mG5V00

Words of Jessica Wolfer…


   Since I grew up with my father having Cerebellar Ataxia, I have grown accustomed to the random sounds I hear on a daily basis and how to tell what my dad is doing. For example, I always can identify that it’s my dad walking through the house because instead of just footsteps traveling I can usually hear him bump into the wall a couple of times. Or when he is out in the kitchen making himself lunch, almost every single time I hear something get dropped followed by the long sigh that my dad is known for. Even when he is going out or coming back into the house, I can tell it is him because he tends to slam the door rather than shut it. These are all things I have noticed and become very used to, in fact, if the house is quiet it feels weird, hearing my dad is comforting in a way.
                                                …………………………………………


  I have never actually been in a real war or military conflict. The closest that I ever came to engaging any kind of enemy force was when my brothers and I would pick two teams from the kids in the neighborhood. We would then proceed to make our way into the woods behind our house... and there we would proceed to throw dirt clods and stink cabbage at one another. Stink cabbage was a somewhat large plant that we would find in abundance, growing in the shaded dampness, under the forest trees. It made an excellent weapon because, just holding it, and threatening to lob it at your opponent, caused quite a reaction. It was much the same; I imagine as if you were clutching a live grenade….or a water balloon full of girl germs (we also weren't beyond using biological warfare).


  These engagements, or one-sided conflicts, always seemed to begin and end in the same fashion. They would start with the choosing of the two sides...which really wasn't choosing at all. Oh, sure...there were two separate teams chosen...but there appeared to be a preexisting notion as to the makeup of the team rosters, as anyone under 120 pounds, four and a half feet or less, and younger than ten years old was on one team, (the losing team). I have long held the opinion that this system had been deliberately designed in this fashion...because choosing teams this way provided a convenient way for the older, and bigger kids to take any challenge or fun out of any the games we played.


  The unevenly balanced games also always seemed to end in the same way. The slightly slanted onslaught was finished off with the classic dog pile. I experienced the bottom of a weighted mound of bodies so many times that I am surprised to this day that I am a 3-D presence, one that is always dealing with weight issues...and not perpetually flat, like a cartoon character that was just smashed with an anvil, or had a Baby Grand Piano dropped on them.


  One of the conflicts that were fought with the neighborhood kids was located over at one of their homes...in the woods that lay directly behind their house. We decided that we wanted to dig trenches and make the war games into an overnight campaign. However, this decision was all-too-quickly overturned when we discovered that digging trenches involved the use of shovels, and this was a process that lay too close in proximity to resembling actual work. Either way, though, it didn't matter for the losing team, because we could either get beaten on a short campaign or we could be annihilated during a long one. It was pretty much a massacre either way.


  Long before the days of paintball, there were BB gun wars. As a teenager, my friends and I would take single pump Daisy BB guns, go out in the woods, and shoot each other. Of course, this required the correct equipment, because, after all…. we weren't completely crazy. The proper attire included motorcycle helmets with a face mask for everyone playing, leather work gloves to protect your hands, and heavy clothing came with a high recommendation but was not strictly enforced. The single pump BB guns were not incredibly powerful, but all it took was one hit on a thinly-covered area of the body to make the idea of padded clothing, and multiple layers, seem not only to be a good idea, but also a complete necessity.


  Usually, the same group of friends was involved in this fun activity, and on one occasion one of our friends decided to try and be sneaky and climb a tree, in order to get into a sniper position. Being in a high position may have seemed like a good plan, but once the location of where he was perched had been discovered, we all gathered at the bottom, and repeatedly fired up into the tree at him and he, unfortunately, had nowhere that he could go. It was also the same friend that seemed to be forever attempting to be sneaky, and he repeated a similar maneuver again. Only this time he backed into a little clearing, which happened to be underneath a large bush of wild berries. Once he was discovered, he had no way of escape, nowhere else to go, and nowhere that he could even pretend to hide. He had no choice but just to lay there and take it, as the rest of us stood around, and shot into the bushes.


  Even though time has moved on, I have lost touch with most of these friends, and the reality that I am not odds on favorite ( or even in the top twenty)...doesn’t mean that I don’t continue to fight. I still find myself engaged in small skirmishes and daily battles. Receiving the diagnosis of a severe life-changing handicap took only a few moments, but it felt rather more like three weeks of intense military boot camp had been condensed, and crammed into those few moments. Leaving that doctor’s office that first time, felt like I was immediately being shipped off to fight a war that I didn’t know anything about, or understand.  The only thing that I did know for certain was that it was a war that I hadn’t started.


 The four little words - I didn’t start it - became the most used catch phrase at a relatively early point in my career as a child.  Using this excuse never really did get me the pardon I was looking for, but hope ran eternal, and I just kept uttering it. I guess I was hoping that someone would finally see the light, and say something like, "You know, that's a great point….here is 25 cents for a candy bar." But, it never happened.


  I still use this phrase today, but now it is in respect to my SCA, and at this time, I am no longer hoping for a candy bar, (I have the means now just to go out and buy one).


  It was right around the same time that I made the horrific discovery that I had older brothers (it seemed like they were going to stick around, anyway), and that they didn't always hold my best interests in a high priority....this was when I started using the well-known childhood anthem that went like this, "it wasn't my fault." Usually, there was either a, "but mom…", or a, "but dad…", at the beginning of this statement. In the face of an inevitable, yet undesirable outcome, this phrase was seen as always being worthy of a shot. It very seldom helped, but it was always worth the shot.


  There was a particular time (although, I'm sure there were others) when I was around four that provided me a perfect opportunity to pull out, apply, and use both catchphrases. I even went on to administer a third excuse, which was closely related in this instance to the first 2. This 3rd phrase was along the lines of, "they did it". The,"they", that I was referring to in this application was, of course, my two older brothers. It was no longer an excuse that was along-the-lines-of it wasn't my fault, or, I didn't start it, but rather it was a full-on, outright finger pointing.


  I confronted my mom, and started off with, "I didn't start it", and then went right into, "But mom, it wasn't my fault", and finished the whole thing up with, "but they did it." My emotionally-charged plea took all of about 6 seconds and didn't help my plight in the least. It was an event that I will never forget. Here is what went down...on that infamous day in 1969.


  Our parents were taking us to a big event, I don't exactly recall what it was, but our mom had taken great care to make my two older brothers, and myself, look very nice. She had cleaned us all up and had dressed us in matching sailor outfits. Once she had finished all her ministrations, and fussing with us, she then turned her focus on herself and began to get ready, for whatever it was that we were going to be attending.  At this point, we were still waiting for our dad to get home, so our mother asked us to sit quietly and stay out of trouble while we waited. Our intentions were to do exactly that, having a broad sense, and appreciation of the efforts that our mother had gone too. After about a minute and a half we began to fidget, and push the boundaries of just what it meant to be quiet, and stay out of trouble.


  Soon we were venturing outside, and before I knew it, two events happened simultaneously. The first one was that we found ourselves standing in the little cow pen beside our house. The second and the most significant thing that happened was that an argument broke out between my brothers.


  It seemed, that just as quickly, the two were separated by several yards, and had begun to throw piles of cow dung, and dirt clods at one another. I was with the brother who sought out protection behind a wooden post but ended up getting covered rather liberally, anyway. I saw it as a crime of pure bad luck...I had simply been in the wrong place at the wrong time, but my parents didn't agree with my overall take on the situation. I was seen as complacent…..and guilty by association.


  My brothers had attempted to soften the blow, by sending me into the house first...in an attempt to reason with our mother first, and calmly explain the situation, in my cute little 4-year old way. She wouldn't be able to resist, and we'd probably all have a good laugh. It would be a touching moment, like the ending of all the family movies that we had watched on the Wonderful World Of Disney.


  A reunion of laughter and good cheer was what my brothers were hoping for anyhow, but it's not quite the way it turned out. Yeah, mom wasn't buying it. I gave her all my best arguments. Hadn't she been watching the same shows that we had seen? Instead, all she could see was that her labor was now ruined and that she would have to do it all over again. I don't remember if there was even enough time at this point to make the effort. All I remember is the moment that our dad arrived on the scene....and mom shared with him her overwhelming feelings of parental pride.


  The rest of that story has been traumatically blocked from my memory…...


  These three phrases are how I now view my SCA. I didn't start it, it's not my fault, and Ataxia did it! However, there is one more catchphrase that I used as a kid, and that I also use quite a lot now, it seems, in regards to my SCA. "I didn't mean to," was too often said in the past, when the situation called more for a response like, "I wasn't supposed to...but I did, and now it's broke." With an SCA, muttering the phrase, "I didn't mean to," is much closer to being an accurate statement than the uses that I had applied the saying to in my younger days.
  
  These days, I may not have the same reasons for using all the catchphrases of my youth, but every one of them still fits very well into my current circumstances. They have just shifted focus from childhood excuses to a neurological reality.

  The conflicts continue…..and apparently, I still appear to be guilty by association.

Conflito de frases que chamam à atenção


As palavras de Jessica Wolfer...


   Cresci com o meu pai a sofrer de Ataxia Cerebelosa, eu já estou habituada aos sons aleatórios que o meu pai faz diariamente e já sei o que ele está a fazer. Por exemplo, eu sei sempre se o meu pai está a andar pela casa fora, porque em vez de apenas ouvir os passos, normalmente ouço-o também ir contra as paredes algumas vezes. Ou quando ele está na cozinha fazendo o seu almoço, quase sempre ouço algo a cair seguido de um longo suspiro, pelo qual o meu pai é conhecido. Mesmo quando ele está a sair ou entrar em casa, eu sei que é ele, porque ele bate com a porta em vez de fechá-la. Estas são as coisas que eu tenho notado e me acostumei, de facto, se a casa estiver em silêncio, parece muito estranho, ouvir o meu pai é reconfortante de certa forma.
                                                …………………………………………
  Nunca estive numa verdadeira guerra ou conflito militar. O mais próximo de eu fazer parte de qualquer tipo de força inimiga foi quando os meus irmãos e eu fazíamos duas equipas entre os miúdos da vizinhança. Nós, depois, íamos para a floresta atrás de nossa casa... e lá então jogávamos bolas de terra e uma planta mal cheirosa, uns aos outros.  A planta mal cheirosa era uma planta grande que crescia com abundância ali, necessitava apenas de sombra e humidade, portanto crescia debaixo das árvores da floresta. Tornava-se numa arma excelente, porque apenas segurando-a e ameaçando o nosso oponente que a ia atirar, causava uma grande reacção. Tinha a mesma reacção; eu imagino como se tivesse na mão uma granada....ou um balão de água cheio de germes (nós também não eramo totalmente contra a guerra biológica).


  Estes acontecimentos, ou conflitos de uma das partes, pareciam começar e terminar sempre da mesma maneira. Começavam sempre por escolher um dos lados...o que realmente não era uma escolha na realidade. Ah, com certeza...havia duas equipas para escolher...mas geralmente havia uma regra pré-existente, como a composição das listas das equipas, era que  qualquer pessoa com menos de 60 kg e um metro e meio ou menos, e menos de dez anos de idade, pertencia a uma equipa, (a equipa que perdia). Eu sou da opinião que este sistema tinha sido deliberadamente concebido porque desta forma de escolher equipas, era conveniente para os mais velhos, e crianças maiores para retirar qualquer desafio ou diversão destes jogos.


  Os jogos equilibrados desigualmente também pareciam sempre da mesma forma. Um ataque desigual era terminado com a clássica pontuação. Eu vivenciei estar por baixo de um monte de corpos tantas vezes que estou surpreso ainda hoje ser uma presença 3-D, que está sempre a lidar com problemas de peso...e não perpetuamente plano, como um personagem de desenho animado que apenas foi esmagado com um martelo, ou algo que lhe caiu em cima como um piano de cauda.


  Um dos conflitos travados com os miúdos da vizinhança era quase nas suas casa...na floresta mesmo atrás das suas casas. Nós decidimos que queríamos cavar trincheiras e fazer jogos de guerra, numa noite de campanha. No entanto, esta decisão foi totalmente e muito rapidamente revertida quando percebemos que cavar trincheiras envolvia o uso de pás, e isso era um processo muito parecido com trabalho. De qualquer forma, porém, isso não importava para a equipa que perdia, porque poderiam perder numa campanha de pequena duração, ou podíam ser aniquilados durante uma campanha longa. Era quase um massacre de qualquer maneira.


  Muito antes dos dias de paintball, havia guerras de armas BB. Com adolescentes, os meus amigos e eu levávamos uma arma de pressão de ar, e íamos para o mato atirar uns aos outros. Claro, isso requeria o equipamento certo, porque afinal .... nós não éramos completamente loucos. O vestuário adequado, incluía o uso de capacete com máscara facial para todos os que estavam jogar, luvas de trabalho de couro para proteger as mãos e roupas pesadas, eram recomendadas, mas nem sempre rigorosamente cumprido. As pressões de ar, armas BB não eram incrivelmente potentes, bastava levar um chumbo numa área do corpo mal protegida para decidir usar roupas acolchoadas com múltiplas camadas, não era apenas uma boa ideia, mas também uma grande necessidade.


  Geralmente, o mesmo grupo de amigos estava envolvido com esta actividade divertida, e numa ocasião, um dos nossos amigos decidiu ser sorrateiro e subir uma árvore, a fim de estar numa posição de atirador. Estar mais alto, parecia ter sido um bom plano, mas logo que o lugar onde ele estava empoleirado foi descoberto, reunimos todos por baixo, e atiramos repetidamente para ele em cima da árvore, e infelizmente ele não podia ir a lado nenhum. Era também o mesmo amigo que estava sempre tentando ser sorrateiro, e ele repetiu esta manobra novamente. Só que desta vez ele escondeu-se numa pequena clareira, debaixo de um grande arbusto de frutos silvestres. Uma vez que ele foi descoberto, ele não tinha como escapar, nenhum lugar para ir, e nem sequer fingir que se ia esconder. Ele não podia fazer nada a não ser, ficar ali e nós ali à volta, a atirar para os arbustos.


  Apesar de os tempos terem mudado, eu perdi contacto com a maioria destes amigos, e apesar de não ser o favorito ( ou mesmo nos melhores vinte)...não significa que eu não continue a lutar. Eu ainda me vejo envolvido em pequenas escaramuças e batalhas diárias. Receber o diagnóstico de uma grave deficiência que mudou a minha vida levou apenas alguns momentos, mas foi como estar três semanas num campo militar de treino intenso e condensado em poucos momentos. Ao deixar o consultório do médico naquela altura, parecia que eu estava sendo imediatamente enviado para lutar numa guerra que não conheço ou compreendo.  A única coisa que eu tinha certeza é que era uma guerra que eu não tinha iniciado.


 As cinco palavras - não fui eu a começar - tornou-se a frase mais dita relativamente cedo em minha carreira como criança.  Usando essa desculpa nunca consegui o perdão que realmente estava procurando, mas a esperança era eterna, e eu continuei proferindo-a. Eu achava que alguém iria finalmente ver a luz, e dizer algo como, "Sabes tens razão ....aqui tens 25 cêntimos para uma barra de chocolate." Mas, isso nunca aconteceu.


  Eu ainda uso essa frase hoje, mas agora é em relação à minha SCA, e nesta altura já não espero uma barra de chocolate, (eu tenho os meios agora para sair e comprar uma).


  Foi na mesma altura que eu fiz a terrível descoberta de que tinha irmãos mais velhos (parecia que eles iam ficar durante algum tempo, de qualquer forma), e que eles nem sempre tinham os meus melhores interesses como alta prioridade....nessa altura foi quando eu comecei a usar o bem conhecido hino de infância, "não foi a minha culpa." Normalmente, o inicio da declaração era, "mas mãe...", ou, "mas, pai...",. Em face do inevitável, ainda que indesejável resultado, esta frase foi vista como sendo sempre digna de uma tentativa. Muito raramente teve um resultado positivo, mas uma tentativa valeu sempre a pena.


  Houve um determinado momento (embora, tenho certeza de que havia outros) quando eu tinha cerca de quatro anos o  que me proporcionou uma oportunidade perfeita para dizer, aplicar e utilizar as frases. Eu passei a utilizar uma terceira desculpa, que estava intimamente relacionada neste caso com as duas primeiras. Esta 3ª frase foi do tipo, "eles fizeram isso". O "eles", que eu referia neste caso era claro, os meus dois irmãos mais velhos. Já não era mais uma desculpa do tipo "que não era minha culpa," ou, "eu não comecei", mas, ao contrário, foi um completo, apontar do dedo.


  Eu confrontei a minha mãe, que iniciou assim: "eu não comecei" e, em seguida, continuei, "Mas mãe, a culpa não foi minha", e terminava tudo com: "mas foram eles que fizeram isso." O meu apelo carregado de emoção durou apenas 6 segundos e não ajudou a minha situação, no mínimo. Foi um evento que nunca vou esquecer. Aqui está o que aconteceu...no infame dia em 1969.


  Os nossos pais estavam a levar-nos a um evento importante, eu não lembro exactamente o que era, mas a nossa mãe teve o cuidado de arranjar os meus dois irmãos mais velhos, e eu, muito bem. Ela arranjou-nos e vestiu-nos com fatos de marinheiro, todos a combinar. Depois de tratar de nós, e se preocupar connosco, ela então virou o seu foco para si própria e começou a preparar-se, para o que quer que fosse que nós íamos.  Nesta altura, ainda estávamos à espera que o nosso pai chegasse a casa, de modo que a nossa mãe pediu-nos para ficar sentados quietinhos , enquanto esperávamos o  nosso pai. As nossas intenções eram exactamente obedecer visto que valorizava-mos muito os esforços que a nossa mãe teve. Após cerca de minuto e meio começamos mexer-se, a chegar aos limites que a fariam sentir tranquila, e não ter problemas.


  Depressa saímos para fora, e antes que eu percebesse, dois eventos aconteceram simultaneamente. O primeiro foi que nós estávamos dentro de um curral de vacas pequeno que ficava mesmo ao lado da nossa casa. A segunda  coisa mais importante que aconteceu foi que iniciamos uma pequena discussão entre os meus irmãos.


  Parecia que foi tão rápido, os dois estavam separados por vários metros, e começaram a jogar estrume de vaca, e terra suja um ao outro. Eu estava com o irmão, que procurou  proteger-se atrás de um poste de madeira, mas acabou totalmente coberto de porcaria de qualquer forma. Eu  vi isso como pura má sorte...simplesmente estava no lugar errado na hora errada, mas os meus pais não concordaram com a forma como assumi a situação. Fui visto como complacente.....e culpado por associação.


  Meus irmãos tentaram suavizar o golpe, mandando-me primeiro para enfrentar a nossa mãe, e calmamente explicar a situação, na minha maneira querida dos meus 4 anos de idade. Ela não seria capaz de resistir, e provavelmente todos nós íamos ter uma boa risada. Seria um momento emocionante, como o fim de todos os filmes sobre a família que havíamos assistido no Maravilhoso Mundo Da Disney.


  Uma reunião do riso e do bom ânimo foi o que meus irmãos estavam à espera de qualquer maneira, mas não foi assim que aconteceu. Sim, a mãe não foi nessa. Eu dei-lhe todos os meus melhores argumentos. Seria que ela não estava a ver o mesmo espectáculo que nós? Em vez disso, tudo o que ela via é que foi tanto trabalho para nada, estava tudo estragado e ela teria que fazer tudo de novo. Eu não me lembro se havia, nesta altura, mesmo tempo para fazer o esforço. Tudo o que me lembro é do momento em que o nosso pai aparece....e minha mãe partilha com ele o seu enorme sentimento de orgulho de serem pais.


  O resto da história foi traumaticamente bloqueada da minha memória......


  Estas três frases são a forma como eu, agora, vejo a minha SCA. Eu não comecei, a culpa não é minha, foi a Ataxia. No entanto, há mais uma frase típica que eu usei em miúdo, e que também utilizo bastante agora, ao que parece, em relação à minha SCA. "Não era a minha intenção," foi muitas vezes dito no passado, quando a situação exigia mais de uma resposta, como, "eu não devia...mas eu fiz, e agora está partido." Com a SCA, a murmurar a frase, "eu não queria fazer," que agora é muito mais real do que no tempo quando eu a dizia quando era miúdo.
  
  Agora talvez as razões para usar estas palavras, não sejam as mesmas de quando era criança, mas cada um delas ainda se encaixam muito bem na minha situação actual. Elas apenas mudaram de foco de desculpas de infância para a realidade neurológica.


  Os conflitos continuam.....e aparentemente, eu ainda continuo culpado por associação.

No comments:

Post a Comment