Sunday, August 6, 2017

The Last Laugh...Based On A True Story....Chapter 9...The Trifecta Of Motion

Chapter 9.JPG
The audio version of this chapter: www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF3mrKu2mYY
This is also available in Portuguese...which is included following the English version.
Words of Megan Wolfer…


Two of the biggest things people know about my dad is his good attitude and his sense of humor. Throughout these many years with SCA, he has not once complained. As hard as times could get for him, he has always kept a smile on his face. He is constantly making jokes and never lets his disease get in the way of enjoying life. I am always surprised at how quickly he can turn a bad situation around with one simple joke. I’ll be standing there lost in thought, and he will quietly lean over and mutter a sarcastic remark under his breath. They always catch me off guard, which makes them even funnier. We both then can’t help but laugh loudly. His laugh is one of those types that can cheer anybody up. Once he gets going, there is no stopping him, which then gets everyone else in the room laughing too.


                                         …………………………………………………


  Dancing has always been an activity that I have tried to avoid. Unfortunately, I haven't always been successful in this, and there were some occasions during the days of my youth when I did indeed find myself immersed in several awkward situations. These, much to my horror, were events that required a certain sense of rhythmic swaying.


  To say that I possessed skills that were worthy of being showcased on American Bandstand or Dance Fever (I am now putting myself in an age category) would be like saying that if Elvis were alive today, he would most likely be dead by now. It is a statement that doesn't make any sense, but trust me, if you would have had the terrible misfortune of seeing my attempt at cutting a rug then you would also possess a complete understanding of the comparison.


  Terrible may not be a strong enough word to define the kind of misfortune one would have experienced seeing me shake it up. Oh...there would have been a misfortune, there would have been plenty of misfortune, I'm just having trouble coming up with a descriptive word that would adequately describe the depth of that particular misfortune.  


   As a teenager, I remember being at a local twenty-one year-old-and-younger dance club.  At any given time it seemed like there were at least seventy-five to one-hundred kids on the dance floor, all moving to the loud music that was being pumped out at a maximum volume….. from every conceivable angle. During the rare times that I found myself in the center of the moving, gyrating mass, I felt oddly conflicted. I hadn't necessarily wanted to be there, and yet at the same time, I felt a small sense of belonging….like I had found a place in life. Mostly, though, it was more of an impression that I was now a part of, and a contributor to, one big misfortunate-collective.


   My dance floor education started way back in first grade, forty-five years ago. The integration towards a life of this kind of musical expression began as a subtle thing, but by about the third grade, we all (meaning my influential nine and ten-year-old peer group) started to feel the yearnings to be like our cooler older siblings. I was one of the third graders who had the oldest brothers, both of them being in the seventh grade, where life was perceived to hold all the fun dances and the answers to the mysteries of other cool stuff.


  In our sweet, yet slightly pathetic way, we attempted to stage our dance parties. These "raves" usually tended to land in close proximity to the play dates that our mothers were still arranging for us at one another's homes, or at the local park. When we were old enough to begin to have our own parties with dances, we realized that we had, inadvertently, actually chosen a more awkward way to socially interact than we had at first realized.


  I guess that in our young boyhood minds, we thought that all we would need to do is just to set the whole thing up, by providing the place and opportunity. At that point, our job was done, and the girls would know exactly what to do and would just simply take over…..and, just like that, spontaneous dancing would break out.  But apparently, the girls were thinking the same thing about us boys, because all that we ended up doing was sitting around, and staring at each other.


   I for one had thought that from the sidelines, that dancing had looked very desirable, like everyone was enjoying themselves, and having lots of fun. It didn't help anything to possess dancing skills that had a closer resemblance to the flight of someone who is trying to avoid a kamikaze yellow jacket, or that has just walked through a spider's web. The opinion that I held at this point changed and dancing became an activity that was to be avoided at all costs, except for the few times I went as a teenager because of ulterior motives, (girls).


  From that point, and moving forward through the years, this was the way that I continued to live, mostly void of even the smallest evidence of dancing. That is until I reached the age of thirty-eight, and the diagnosis of Ataxia was delivered. At this moment, dancing re-entered my life with a vengeance. This time, however, my life was not going to be about occasionally attending any organized dance parties, or clubs….no, it was going to be about a life of constant motion, and not always one that is set to music.


  Spinocerebellar is the disease that causes my condition of Ataxia. Within this condition is where I find the need to remain constantly aware of the possibility, that at any moment, my body may find itself in a situation that requires some form of dance movement. At times this may manifest itself in short little jerks, and twitches, like the robot dance. At other times it will be in long sweeping motions, as in ballroom dancing. Occasionally, in moments of shock or surprise, I will shoot straight up on my tippy toes and walk in small steps, like a Ballet dancer.


  I will never know which dance is required until the moment arrives. I also will never know in what situations I might find a need to dance. One of the recurrent situations that I find myself in, one in which I will continually be thrown off guard because I seem always to forget that there might be a need to dance, lies within the public restroom.


  When I was younger, and swearing off the desire to ever dance again, I did not see a day coming when I would have Ataxia, and at the same time, be required to move rhythmically in front of a paper towel dispenser in public restrooms. After waving my hands frantically for fifteen to twenty minutes, the only thing I need the sheet for when it is finally dispensed is to mop the sweat off my forehead.


  In retrospect, I think the people that made the motion-activated paper towel dispensers expected this to happen and went into partnership with the people who designed and built the bathroom. They convinced them that it was entirely necessary to mount speakers in the ceiling so that music could, therefore, be continually pumped into the bathroom, making it easier for someone to use their dispensers. I believe that this is also why there is a mirror located right above the sink.


  During the life that I had before SCA, I thought that the mirror was placed in this position so that you could comb your hair, or attend to other such areas of dress, or hygiene. A mirror is useful for all of these functions, but the primary focus of the mirror in a public restroom is so that you can check out your dance moves. I mean, who wouldn't want to watch themselves, while they were jumping around in an attempt to activate the guardian or keeper of the paper towels? It might even prove to provide you with helpful knowledge for a future bathroom dance session.


  I don't know who invented the hand dryer in the public restroom, but it had to be someone who had danced around for a lengthy amount of time, and suddenly realized that their hands were already dry when the towel finally came out. It was clearly an unforeseen consequence that the makers of the motion activated towel dispenser never saw coming. A day when their towel dispensers were no longer needed and would be replaced by a machine that blows warm air.


  But, even though some of the dispensers have been replaced by machines, which still require a certain amount of hand-waving, the motion activated paper-towel-vending-machines can still, quite often, be found in public restrooms everywhere. I guess the thing that I find to be the most challenging with this type of 1-ply paper towel dispensaries system is never quite being sure of the most efficient way needed in which to wave my hands. Because it would seem that any definite pattern of movement will not work twice, even if it is repeated instantly, and in the same manner.


  Did this type of dispenser get manufactured with a digital chip inside, one that provides a high level of decryption? Did the creators of this system think that all I would need is one towel? Is this why I can never get more than one to come out? I mean, could the use of two or three sheets in some way be viewed as wasteful? And I believed that getting the first one to roll out of the machine was hard enough….usually, any attempt I make to dispense or go beyond more than just one towel ends in the agony of defeat.


  It is a whole routine that I have to go through, and I will need to include several different styles of hand waving. I usually start off with the slow back and forth motion of the hand, like I am waving at a crowd from a parade float. When this action fails to produce the desired effect, I will increase the speed.


  There are several stages of speed that I increase to, beginning with the overhead gesture, which bears a close resemblance to signaling a plane for a landing. I then continue to move through other various styles, until I arrive at the final stage. This is the one that has come to be known as the S.O.S., because of the appearance of looking like I am trying frantically to signal a ship from the beach of a deserted island, (this stage also includes some erratic attempts at jumping...whereupon, again, the piped in music becomes helpful). All that is missing during this particular hand waving style is a large signal fire. Alas, most public establishments have a thing about large bathroom fires.


  Every once in awhile, I will enter a bathroom that holds, what I refer to as the trifecta of activation. Not just the towel dispenser, but the faucet, and the heavily armored soap bottle will also be activated by motion. Washing my hands becomes an exercise of timing, and coordination, beginning with the dispensing of the hand soap. I'll start the process off, by slowly sliding my hand back and forth underneath the soap nozzle.


    If I have done the procedure correctly, am standing on one foot, and it happens to be the third Tuesday of the month, I am awarded by having a two-gram puddle of soap squirted into my palm. I quickly rub my hands together, and the next trick is to get the water to flow before the thin layer of soap on my hands begins to evaporate, and so I quickly start to move my hand underneath the activated faucet.  Once I have gotten the water to start flowing, I have approximately two to three seconds to accomplish the task of rinsing my hands off.


   I then move on to the drying phase of the operation, and as if this whole ordeal wasn't already enough of a trial, I think this is the point in which the dispenser begins to mock my feeble attempts. It just hangs there, utterly expressionless, appearing to be entirely unconcerned, and completely oblivious to my wet-handed predicament.
  I wave my hands, and I fan my arms...I bob, and I weave...I am executing moves that would rival Saturday Night Fever, Dirty Dancing, or Footloose. I'm a maniac...maniac, on the floor (and I dance like I've never danced before), but then I stumble because of my SCA, and a host of issues with balance. Suddenly...eureka!  Within the stumbling, I have discovered the secret locking code, the dispenser has responded to my near fall to the floor, and has put forth a paper towel.


  Thinking that I have finally found the exact launch sequence to activate a prized piece of thin paper, I repeat the pattern as quickly as I can. But, apparently, the dispenser has now recognized that someone has cracked the code and that it had to give up one of its precious cargo. The discovery will cause it to adjust quickly, and the same motion will no longer work. A new activation code is now needed.


  By this time, I've usually given up, and finish drying, what have now become mostly dry hands because of all the waving, on my pant leg. I then make my exit of the facilities and vow to myself to not use the restroom again until I can do so at home, where I have access to a hand-towel that is passively waiting for me on the counter.


 This whole ordeal will of course end entirely different, if, at any point in my efforts to make the right-hand gestures...I would just so happen to peer through the darkly-tinted plastic cover on the paper towel machine….. If at any time I would discover, that the paper towel dispenser was empty this entire time, and didn't say anything…..didn’t alert me with a series of flashing lights and beeps….


  I have never been in a public restroom that provides a constant attendant. I know they exist because I have seen them in movies, and on television. I can only imagine that this sort of vigilance is provided so that this type of thing doesn't happen. At some point someone probably, I’m guessing, got very agitated. After having wasted precious moments waving their hands….moments that could have been spent out in the dining room berating a waiter, or sending their food back, they made the discovery that the dispenser had been empty the entire time!


  This kind of thing should never happen, and I’m sure that future prevention against any recurrence of this sort of frustrating situation is the primary function of the Restroom-Butler. Well...most likely this, and to provide another perspective and critique of their patron's paper towel dispenser dance moves.

I’m only guessing, of course.




As três fases do Movimento


As palavras de Megan Wolfer...


Duas das maiores coisas que todos sabem sobre o meu pai, são a sua boa atitude e o seu sentido de humor. Ao longo destes muitos anos com SCA, ele nunca se queixou. Apesar dos momentos difíceis que ele passa, tem sempre um sorriso no rosto. Ele está constantemente a fazer piadas e nunca permite que a sua doença de forma alguma o impeça de desfrutar a vida. È surpreendente a rapidez como ele é capaz de virar uma situação ruim com uma simples piada. Eu estou ali de pé, perdido nos meus pensamentos, e ele inclina-se calmamente e murmura um comentário sarcástico. Sou sempre apanhado de surpresa, o que o torna ainda mais engraçado. Nós os dois, de seguida, não conseguimos deixar de rir alto. A sua gargalhada anima qualquer um. Quando ele começa a rir, não é possível pará-lo, e todos os que estão na sala começam a rir também.
                                         …………………………………………………
  Dançar foi uma actividade que eu sempre tentei evitar. Infelizmente, nem sempre ter sido bem sucedido, e houve algumas ocasiões quando era jovem, quando eu estive em várias situações embaraçosas. Estas, para meu horror, foram eventos que necessitavam um certo sentido de balanço rítmico.


  Dizer que eu possuía habilidades dignas de ser apresentadas no American Bandstand, ou a Dance Fever (estou colocando-me numa faixa etária) seria como dizer que, se Elvis estivesse vivo hoje, mais provavelmente ele estaria  morto. Esta declaração não faz qualquer sentido, mas confie em mim, se vocês vissem a minha tentativa de dançar então podiam entender esta comparação.


  Terrível pode não ser uma palavra forte suficiente para definir o tipo de infortúnio que teria vivenciado a ver-me abanar. Oh...não seria uma desgraça, teria sido um grande infortúnio, eu apenas estou com dificuldade a encontrar palavra que para descrever adequadamente esse infortúnio.  


   Como jovem, lembro-me de estar num clube de dança para jovens de vinte e um anos ou menos.  Em qualquer dado momento, parecia que havia pelo menos setenta e cinco a cem jovens na pista de dança, todos movendo-se em sintonia com a música alta que era bombardeada no  volume máximo..... de todos os ângulos imagináveis. Durante as raras vezes que eu me encontrei no centro da massa movendo-se, girando, senti-me estranhamente em conflito. Eu não queria necessariamente, estar ali, mas, ao mesmo tempo, senti um pequeno sentimento de pertença....como que tivesse encontrado um lugar na vida. Principalmente, porém, era mais uma impressão que eu era, agora, parte, ou um colaborador, de um grande infortúnio colectivo.


   A minha aprendizagem na pista de dança iniciou cerca do primeiro ano, quarenta e cinco anos atrás. A integração numa vida desse tipo de expressão musical começou de uma forma subtil, mas no terceiro ano, todos nós (o que significa os meus influentes colegas de nove e dez anos,) começaram a desejar ser como os seus irmãos mais velhos. Eu era um dos alunos do terceiro ano que tinha os irmãos mais velhos, ambos no sétimo ano, onde a vida era entendida como tendo toda a diversão das danças e as outras coisas boas.


  De uma forma doce, ainda que um pouco patética tentava-mos, fazer as nossas festas de dança. Estas "raves" geralmente aconteciam perto das datas de brincadeiras que as nossas mães estavam a organizar para nós, na casa uns dos outros, ou no parque local. Quando tinha-mos idade suficiente para organizar as nossas próprias festas com danças, percebemos que tínhamos, inadvertidamente, escolhido a maneira mais estranha de interagir socialmente do que tinha-mos previsto.


  Eu penso que nas nossas mentes infantis, pensava-mos que apenas precisava-mos de organizar tudo, providenciando o local e a oportunidade. Nessa altura, o nosso trabalho estava feito, e as meninas saberiam exactamente o que fazer e simplesmente assumiam o controlo.....e, assim a dança começava espontaneamente.  Mas, aparentemente, as raparigas pensavam a mesma coisa de nós rapazes, porque o que acabamos por fazer, era sentar-nos à volta, e olhar uns para os outros.


   Eu pensei estando  do lado de fora, a dança parecia muito agradável, parecia que se estavam a gostar muito, e a divertir-se bastante. Não ajudava  em nada possuir habilidades de dança que tinha uma maior semelhança com o voo de alguém que está a tentar evitar um kamikaze com um colete amarelo, ou atravessaram uma teia de aranha. A opinião que eu tinha nesta altura alterou-se e a dança tornou-se uma actividade a ser evitada a todo o custo, excepto para as poucas vezes que eu fui como um adolescente por causa de segundas intenções, (meninas).


  A partir dessa altura, e avançando para a frente alguns anos, essa foi a forma como eu continuei a viver, principalmente evitando qualquer tipo de dança. Isto é até à idade de trinta e oito anos, quando me foi diagnosticado Ataxia.  Nesta altura, a dança reentrou na minha vida como por vingança. Desta vez, no entanto, minha vida não vai resumir-se a ocasionalmente, comparecer a qualquer festa de dança organizada, ou de clubes....não, ela ia ser um constante movimento toda a vida, e nem sempre aquele tipo de dança ao som da música.


  Spinocerebelosa é a doença que tem como sintoma a Ataxia. Dentro desta condição eu fico constantemente ciente da possibilidade, de que, a qualquer momento, meu corpo pode encontrar-se numa situação que exige alguma forma de movimento da dança. Às vezes isso pode se manifestar em pequenos solavancos, e contracções musculares, como se fosse a dança de um robô. Noutras alturas parece ter movimentos de arrasto longos, como na dança de salão. As vezes, em momentos de choque ou surpresa, eu deslizo rapidamente em linha recta em bicos dos pés e passos pequenos, como um bailarino.


  Eu nunca sei qual é a dança necessária até que o momento chega. Eu também nunca sei em que situações é necessário dançar. Uma das situações recorrentes em que me encontro, aquele em que eu continuamente estou a ser apanhado de surpresa porque me estou sempre  a esquecer da necessidade de dançar, encontra-se dentro do banheiro público.


  Quando eu era mais jovem, e não tinha o menor desejo de dançar novamente, eu não previa que um dia, quando ao ter Ataxia, ia ser obrigado a mover-me ritmicamente na frente de um dispensador de toalhas de papel em banheiros públicos. Depois de agitar as minhas mãos freneticamente durante quinze a vinte minutos, a única coisa para que eu preciso da toalha de papel era para limpar  o suor da minha testa.


  Em retrospecto, eu penso que as pessoas que fizeram os dispensadores de toalhas de papel em movimento esperavam que isto acontecesse e entraram em parceria com as pessoas que projectaram e construíram  a casa de banho. Convenceram-nos que era absolutamente necessária a montagem de alto-falantes no teto, para que a música fosse continuamente bombeada para dentro da casa de banho, tornando mais fácil para alguém usar os seus dispensadores. Acredito que essa é a razão de existir um espelho localizado logo acima da pia.


  Durante a vida que eu tinha antes da SCA, eu pensava que o espelho foi colocado ali, para que pudesse pentear o cabelo, ou ver outras áreas do vestuário, ou de higiene. Um espelho é útil para todas essas funções, mas o objectivo principal de um espelho numa casa de banho pública é para você verificar os seus movimentos de dança.
                                                                                                                                                                                                          Eu quero dizer, quem não quer ver a si mesmo, enquanto saltam numa tentativa de tirar uma toalha de papel do dispensador? Pode mesmo revelar-se útil dando-lhe conhecimentos para a futura sessão de dança noutra casa de banho.


  Eu não sei quem inventou o secador de mãos nas casas de banho públicas, mas deve ter sido alguém que dançou à sua volta durante bastante tempo, e de repente deu conta que suas mãos já estavam secas, quando conseguiu finalmente tirar a toalha. Foi, claramente, uma consequência, que os criadores do dispensador de toalhas, activado por movimento não previam nem viram chegar. Um dia em que os seus dispensadores de toalhas já não eram mais necessários e seriam substituídos por uma máquina que sopra o ar quente.


  Mas, apesar de alguns dos dispensadores de toalhas terem sido substituídos por máquinas, que ainda necessitam de uma certa quantidade de acenar das mãos, o dispensador de toalhas activados por movimento ainda podem ser encontrados, muitas vezes, em casas de banho públicas por todo o lado. Penso que a coisa que eu acho ser o mais desafiador deste sistema de dispensadores de toalhas de papel, é nunca ter a certeza da forma mais eficiente para abanar as minhas mãos. Porque parece que qualquer padrão definido de movimento não funcionará  duas vezes seguidas, mesmo se for repetido imediatamente, e da mesma maneira.


  Teria este tipo de dispensador sido fabricado com um chip digital, um que fornece um alto nível de descodificação? Terão os criadores deste sistema pensando que eu precisava de uma toalha? É por isso que eu nunca consigo tirar mais de que uma? Quero dizer, poderia duas ou três folhas, serem vistos como um desperdício? E eu pensava que fazer com que a primeira saísse da máquina era difícil que chegue...normalmente, qualquer tentativa que eu faça para tirar uma ou mais que uma toalha acaba na agonia da derrota.


  É uma rotina que eu tenho que fazer, e eu necessitarei de incluir vários estilos  de acenar as mãos. Normalmente começo com um movimento lento para trás e para a frente,  como acenando para uma multidão  num cortejo. Quando esta acção não produz o efeito desejado, eu aumento a velocidade.


  Existem várias fases de velocidade que eu aumento, começando com um gesto por cima da cabeça, que mais parece dar indicações a um avião para estacionar na pista. De seguida, continuo  a mover-me através de vários outros estilos, até eu chegar a fase final. Este ficou a ser conhecido como o S. O. S., porque parecia que eu estou a tentar freneticamente fazer sinal a um navio a partir da praia de uma ilha deserta, (esta fase também inclui algumas tentativas erráticos a saltar...quando então, novamente, a música torna-se útil). Tudo o que a este estilo particular de acenar a mão,  é um grande sinal de fogo. Porém, a maioria dos estabelecimentos públicos têm uma coisa sobre incêndios grandes na casa de banho.


  De vez em quando, eu entro numa casa de banho que tem, o que eu chamo as três fases de activação. Não apenas o dispensador de toalhas, mas o frasco de sabonete fortemente blindado, também está activado pelo movimento. Lavar as mãos tornou-se um exercício de cronometragem, e a coordenação, começando com o dispensador de sabão para as mãos. Eu inicio o processo, lentamente, deslizando as minhas mãos para trás e para a frente por baixo do bico do dispensador de sabão.


    Se consegui fazer o procedimento correctamente, estou em pé só num pé, e acontece ser a terceira terça-feira do mês, então eu sou premiado com duas gramas de sabão, na palma da minha mão. Esfrego rapidamente as minhas mãos, e o próximo truque é fazer a água correr antes que a fina camada de sabão nas minhas mãos antes que evapore, e então eu começo rapidamente a passar as minhas mãos por baixo da torneira para a activar.  Depois de ter a água a correr, tenho cerca de dois ou três segundos para executar a tarefa de lavar as mãos.


   Então, passo para a fase da operação de secagem, como se todo este desafio não bastasse, acho que esta é a altura em que o dispensador  começa a gozar com as minhas fracas tentativas. Está simplesmente ali pendurado, sem qualquer expressão, parecendo estar completamente despreocupado, e totalmente alheio ao meu dilema das mãos molhadas.
  Eu aceno as minhas mãos, e agito os meus braços...eu, aceno e agito e executo movimentos, parecidos com Saturday Night Fever, Dirty Dancing, ou Footloose. Eu sou um maníaco...maníaco, na pista de dança (e danço como nunca tinha dançado antes), mas, em seguida, tropeço, por causa da minha SCA, e uma série de problemas com o equilíbrio. De repente... a satisfação!  No meio de tropeçar, descubro o código secreto de bloquear, o dispensador respondeu à minha quase queda, e cuspiu uma toalha de papel para o chão.


  A pensar que finalmente aprendi a sequência de lançamento para activar a valiosa folha de papel fino, eu repito a sequência tão rapidamente possível. Mas, aparentemente, o dispensador reconheceu que alguém  descobriu o código e que perdeu uma folha da sua preciosa carga. A descoberta faz com que se ajuste rapidamente, e o mesmo movimento não funcionará mais. Agora será necessário um novo código de activação.


  Nesta altura, normalmente já desisti, e acabei a secagem, do que é agora  mãos quase secas por causa de tanto  as agitar e bater na minha perna. Então, faço a saída das instalações e juro a mim mesmo de não usar a casa de banho novamente até chegar a casa, onde eu tenho acesso a uma toalha das mãos que está passivamente a minha espera na banca.


 Todo este desafio acaba totalmente, se, em qualquer altura nos meus esforços para fazer os gestos das mãos correctas...eu então espreitaria através da tampa de plástico escura do dispensador de toalhas  papel..... Se em qualquer altura eu descobrir, que o dispensador de toalhas de papel  estava vazia durante todo este tempo, e não fui avisado.....nem alertado com uma série de flashes de luzes e sinais sonoros....


  Eu nunca estive numa casa de banho pública com um assistente permanente. Eu sei que eles existem, porque vi isso nos filmes e na televisão. Eu só posso imaginar que este tipo de vigilância é fornecido para que este tipo de coisa não aconteça. Em certa altura provavelmente alguém, eu estou supondo, ficou muito agitado. Depois de ter perdido tempo precioso, acenando com as mãos....tempo que poderia ter sido passado na sala de jantar quando a brigar com o servente de mesa, ou a enviar a refeição de volta, descobriram que o dispensador estava afinal vazio, durante todo o tempo!


  Este tipo de coisa nunca devia ter acontecido, e tenho certeza de que no futuro a prevenção contra este tipo de ocorrência frustrante, é a principal função do assistente da casa de Banho. Bem...provavelmente este, e para fornecer uma outra perspectiva e a crítica os movimentos de dança em frente dos dispensadores de  toalhas de papel.


Só estou supondo, é claro.

No comments:

Post a Comment