Sunday, August 20, 2017

The Last Laugh...Based On A True Story...Chapter 11...The Hostilities Continue To Rage

Chapter 11.JPG
This is the link to the audio version of this chapter: www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGtXG5SuLAA

This chapter has also been translated into Portuguese and follows the English version
Words of Kameron Wolfer…


My dad is also quite the comedian.  I remember that he made my mother laugh really hard during car rides.  His instantaneous ability to perform an appropriate quote from a comedy film or to come up with a quip of his own was unparalleled within our family.  His comedic timing always seemed to lighten our days back then.


In a nutshell, my memories and present exchanges involving my dad are untouched by his 2003 diagnosis.  My respect for my dad, however, has only deepened.  In 2003, the diagnosis gave my father ten years at most to be on his feet, for the rest of his life would have to be spent in a wheelchair.  And yet, I saw no long-term change in his resolve or his attitude.  He would go to work, play with us, and keep the humorous lines coming.  It was almost as if he found peace with his lot in life due to his steady faith in Jesus Christ and the hope of an eternal existence free of ataxia in Heaven.
The one thing that I found deeply admirable about my dad’s actions was his drive to go for a walk at least once a day.   It did not matter to him if it would make him tired for the rest of the day, he was going on that walk.  The more I have thought about his resolve to do so, the more I have come to respect it.   I think that his walks symbolized an ongoing message of thanksgiving that he was given the strength that day to do so and the will to delay the deterioration behind his ataxia.


                                               …………………………………
 


  I have been embroiled in a one-man-squirmish for several years now. The argument between my Cerebellum and the rest of my body began in the early part of 2003. I couldn't resolve the hostilities on my own, and so, in the middle part of that year, I went to a mediator who specialized in these sorts of escalated situations, (and who was also known as a Doctor of Neurology). He evaluated, and analyzed the existing conditions. The end results being, a confirmation from the Mediator/Doctor that the two differing factions of my body had adamantly stated their intent to fight one another. War had, it now seemed, indeed broken out.


  In chapter 2, I covered the political backdrop, management problems, and the various personnel issues that had led up to this war. I want to now shift over to the physical effects that have manifested themselves because of, and that have grown directly out of, this conflict.


  It would seem that all of the little skirmishes, and the battles in which I had taken part of in the days gone by, were a precursor to how my adult life would be lived. Because, even though it has been several years since I felt a desire to pump a BB Gun... in my zeal to shoot a good friend, and even longer since I've come across a need to lob a stink cabbage at someone (refer back to chapter ten)...it would appear that there is still need to fight. (This again, is a reference to chapter two).


   And, even though I currently may find that I am fighting on a team of one, it quite often feels as if I am still on the side of the younger, and weaker kids from my neighborhood…. like my SCA pre-designed the struggle to be one-sided, and picked all the bigger kids. My Ataxia also has made it appear as if he is hoping to end the conflict in the same manner as the old days...in a dog pile. With me still at the bottom of the pile, of course.


  Mostly, though, SCA tries to discourage me by intimidation, or through frustration with inanimate objects that I am working to manipulate.


  Zippers have never been a real good friend of mine, but before my SCA, I felt like we had come to a mutually beneficial understanding. I would treat them nicely, and they would continue to function as was desired….and, except for the occasional incident in which they left me publically exposed, they did not cease to hold together firmly, within the spirit of that arrangement. When SCA declared an end to the peace, however, the zipper saw this as its opportunity to misalign themselves from any previous agreement and began to do some serious misbehaving.


  For a person like myself, who has unsteady hands, and already has problems orientating small objects, just bringing two sides of a zipper together can be a challenge. Trying to cause the little tongue, at the beginning of one side, to slide into the equally small receptacle at the start of the other, is really, just an opening foray into what often appears to be a zippered black hole. A zlackhole, if you will.


  To successfully bring the two sides together into a mutual bond that will not separate, and move the zipper along the tracks that they have formed, all the way to the other end, without a derailment or other incident, is the goal. Does it always happen that way? No...I'd have to say that for me, it does not.


   Trying to make it from the very beginning act to a finished, and a well-zippered product often reminds me of the trick birthday candles that made an appearance on my cake one year. In fact, I think the inventor of these two products is the same person. No matter how hard I blew, or how lifeless the candles looked, they would always manage to flicker back to life again, the very moment that I began to believe that I had finally beaten them.


  There are times when I will get the zipper started just fine, and on its way, when it will suddenly reach out. It will then grab a handful of loose material that is just hanging out as it goes by, and shove it into the path of the rapidly closing tracks. Because of this, there is a complete halt on any forward progress, and work then begins in earnest to try and clear the tracks so that forward progress again can get back underway. In these times the devious little zipper reminds me of one of the villains from my childhood cartoons. The one that was always twisting a pointy black mustache, cackling evilly, and forever tying a heroine down onto train tracks.


  There have also been other times when I dared to imagine that the battle was finally over, that I had successfully gotten him to zip all the way to the end….but which proved only to be a sense of false security. I have had the two sides of the zipper let go of one another, and starting at the bottom, they will completely separate, leaving me "unzipped"!


  Still, other tricks exist for the zipper, including when he will turn all of the pull handles down into an awkward, and jammed position. It's almost as if it is saying, "fine...if you are going to insist that I stay zipped up, then that's exactly how you're going to get it''.  It seems like the zipper might be thinking this way, anyway, because it will only allow me to gain grudging access after I've struggled for about 5 minutes, and eventually forced my way into my pockets.


  A first cousin to the zipper and one who continues to do a fair share of contributing to give me raging headaches is the ziplock bag. It also goes by the name of easy-seal, but in my experience, and opinion which is based on extensive research conducted in a wide variety of circumstances, this is false advertising. It neither zips, locks, or seals...easy, or otherwise. The other day, I thought I had the chicken nugget bag sealed correctly, but on the way back to the freezer the bag burst open, and the little nuggets sprang out like a bunch of little paratroopers, diving from a bomber.


  Why do I refer to the ziplock bag as the zipper's first cousin? Because not only are a lot of the mannerisms of the ziplock the same, but the inventors of the the zipper and the ziplock bag were brothers. I have it on good authority that the ingenious brothers were also the creative minds behind multiple other products. Towards that end, I have already established that the inventor of the zipper and the trick birthday candles were the same person. Before the introduction of the ziplock bag the other brother, who first came up with this little gem of usefulness, also gave to us the conveniently easy to open food cans. I don’t think they have been ADA approved….


  The little pull tab, located on top of the can, supposedly is there for our convenience, making it simpler to open our cans. They neglect to warn you beforehand, however, that up to half the contents of the can are liquid, and that if you rip the top off in a quick, and violent fashion, that most of the said liquid will liberally spread itself around your kitchen. Trying to do this task without making a mess is particularly tricky when a person has a form of Ataxia, such as myself.


  I have become intimidated by this type of can and approach them with an attitude that borders on an air of defeat...and I find myself wondering if they want me to lob the can like a grenade after violently ripping the top off. I can successfully pull the lid about two-thirds of the way, but I always seem to stop at this point, and it's that last third that makes me shiver in fearful contemplation. It never seems to matter, either, how quickly, or slowly that I remove that last third.


  Power cords, or any other kind of extension cord for that matter, are also trying to take advantage of the chaotic state by totally unwinding from their past helpful disposition. They had, for the most part, behaved themselves. Now they try to trip me any chance that they get.


  I have always treated them with respect. I have never allowed any of the cords to get kinked and have diligently attempted to keep them from becoming all twisted. I have always tried to keep all of the cords wound up correctly, or coiled properly, and wrap them up neatly right after using them. I have also stored them in an environment where they can be happy. I've never even substituted an extension cord in place of a jump rope, in a quick pick-up game. But, apparently, this is not good enough for them.


  Sheesh...talk about biting the hand that feeds you! I now have to remain vigilant, constantly on high alert whenever I am using any equipment that has a cord, like my vacuum cleaner.


  The vacuum cleaner is one of the worst offenders, because no matter how mad, or frustrated I get with it, it knows that eventually, I will be back to use it again. All it has to do is bide its time in the closet, and that, very shortly I won't be able to take it anymore, and I will bring it out once again. I am an optimist, and I keep hoping that the cord will give me a break, and stop trying to wrap itself around my ankles. It's like a Boa Constrictor moving in for the kill. Most of the time, when I have finished vacuuming the entire house, I'm left feeling like a snake charmer. Relentlessly, it just never seems to quit trying to coil around my ankles.


  And who would have ever imagined that one day the twist tie would transform into a state of intelligence? I never saw the day coming, when a one and a half to two inch paper-covered wire would be able to decide if it was going to be manipulated, and twisted around a bag. The cheeky little twister also appears to think that it can now decide if it will stay in the tied position, letting go only moments after it has been wrestled into place.

  Or, maybe it's just me…...maybe.


As Hostilidades Continuam a assolar


Palavras de Kameron Wolfer...


O meu pai é um bom comediante.  Eu lembro-me de ele fazer a minha mãe rir muito durante os passeios de carro.  A sua capacidade instantânea de proferir uma adequada citação de um filme de comédia ou  de inventar o seu próprio gracejo era incomparável na nossa família.  As suas saídas cómicas sempre na altura certa, pareciam iluminar nossos dias.


Em poucas palavras, minhas lembranças e a experiência actual com o meu pai não sofreram alterações com seu diagnóstico de 2003.  O meu respeito pelo meu pai, no entanto, tornou-se mais forte.  Em 2003, o diagnóstico ditou que o  meu pai, teria dez anos no máximo, para andar de pé, e que a partir daí para o resto de sua vida teria de ser numa cadeira de rodas.  Mesmo assim não vi nenhuma mudança a longo prazo no seu modo de estar  ou na sua atitude.  Ele continuava a ir para o trabalho, brincar connosco, e a  manter o bom humor.  Era quase como se ele encontra-se a paz e aceitasse a sua sorte na vida, devido à sua grande fé em Jesus Cristo e a esperança de uma existência eterna, livre de Ataxia, no Céu.
O que eu achei profundamente admirável no meu pai, foi a sua determinação de fazer um passeio a pé pelo menos uma vez por dia.   Não importava se isso lhe causava cansaço para o resto do dia, ele fazia sempre a caminhada.  Quanto mais eu vejo a sua determinação, mais o respeito.   Eu acho que seus passeios simbolizavam uma contínua mensagem de acção de graças por ele ainda ter a força para o fazer e a vontade de retardar a deterioração causada pela Ataxia.


                                               …………………………………

 Eu estou envolvido numa luta de um único lutador há vários anos. A discussão entre o Cerebelo e o resto do meu corpo começou no início de 2003. Eu não conseguia resolver as hostilidades sozinho, então depois de meio ano, eu fui a um mediador que se especializou nestes tipos de situações, (e que também é conhecido como um Médico de Neurologia). Ele avaliou e analisou as condições existentes. Os resultados finais,  confirmados pelo Mediador/Médico era que as duas partes diferentes do meu corpo mostraram-se inflexíveis na sua intenção de lutar uma contra a outra. A guerra tinha, agora, ao que parece, iniciado.


  No capítulo 2, abordei o contexto político, os problemas de gestão, e os vários problemas pessoais que levaram a esta guerra. Eu quero agora mudar para os efeitos físicos que se tem manifestado por  causa de, e directamente como resultado deste conflito.


  Parece que todas as pequenas escaramuças e batalhas, em que eu fiz parte no passado, foram precursores de como a minha vida adulta, iria ser vivida. Porque, apesar de já terem passado vários anos desde que eu senti o desejo de usar uma pressão de ar ou espingarda BB ... para atingir um amigo, e ainda mais tempo desde que eu senti a necessidade de atirar uma planta mal cheirosa a alguém (consulte o capítulo nove)...parece que ainda é preciso lutar. (Novamente, é uma referência para o capítulo 2).


   E, apesar de eu actualmente achar que estou a  lutar numa equipa de apenas um, muitas vezes  sinto que ainda estou do lado dos miúdos mais novos e mais fracos, do meu bairro.... pré-concebida, para a luta ser desigual, e a minha SCA escolheu todos os miúdos maiores. A minha Ataxia também fez parecer que deseja acabar com o conflito da mesma forma como nos velhos tempos...com uma pontuação. Comigo na mão de baixo, é claro.


  Principalmente, porém, a SCA tenta me desanimar pela intimidação, ou através da frustração com objectos inanimados que eu estou a tentar manipular.


  Fechos que nunca foram fáceis para mim, mas antes da minha SCA, eu sentia que tinha chegado a um entendimento mutuamente benéfico. Eu tratava-os bem, e eles continuavam a funcionar como desejado....e, excepto os incidentes ocasionais em que me deixaram publicamente expostos, eles não deixaram de se manter firmemente fechados, dentro do espírito deste acordo. Quando a SCA declarou fim da paz, porém, o fecho viu isto como uma oportunidade para sair de qualquer acordo anterior e começou a ter alguns  comportamentos inadequados.


  Para uma pessoa como eu, com mãos trémulas, e já tem problemas em manusear objectos pequenos, juntar os dois lados de um fecho e fecha-lo pode ser um desafio. Tentar levar a pequena língua, no início de um lado para a fazer deslizar para dentro igualmente para um pequeno receptáculo no início do outro, é na verdade, apenas uma abertura para o que muitas vezes parece ser um buraco negro do fecho. Um buraco do fecho.


  Para colocar com êxito os dois lados juntos e fechar  de uma forma que não irá se separar, e para mover o fecho ao longo dos dentes dos dois lados até ao topo, sem um descarrilamento ou outro incidente, é o objectivo. Isso acontece sempre assim? Não...eu digo que, no meu caso, não.


   Tentar fazer isso do princípio ao fim, um fecho bem fechado, faz-me lembrar muitas vezes o truque de velas de aniversário que apareceram no meu bolo de  anos. De facto, eu acho que o inventor desses dois produtos é a mesma pessoa. Não importava a força com que soprava, ou como as velas pareciam totalmente apagadas, elas conseguiam cintilar e acendiam novamente, na altura em que eu começava a acreditar que eu finalmente tinha vencido.


  Por vezes começo a fechar o fecho e este começa muito bem, e no trajecto  subitamente empanca. Encrava num pano solto no seu caminho que fica presa nos dentes do fecho quando estava a ser fechado. Devido a isto, há uma paragem completa sem progresso, e então começamos a tentar limpar os dentes de modo que continue o progresso, e pode voltar a funcionar. Nesta altura o maroto do fecho faz-me lembrar um dos vilões dos desenhos animados da minha infância. A que estava sempre a torcer o bigode preto pontudo, maldosamente a amarrar uma heroína sobre os trilhos do comboio.


  Também houve alturas, quando me atrevi a imaginar que a batalha estava finalmente ganha, que eu tinha conseguido que o fecho chegasse ao fim....mas, o que provou ser apenas um falso sentimento de segurança. Já tive os dois lados do fecho separarem-se, e logo a partir do fundo, ficaram  completamente separados, deixando-me "com o fecho aberto"!


  Ainda, existem outros truques para o fecho, incluindo, quando vira o puxador para baixo, e fica numa posição encravada. É quase como se estivesse dizendo: "tudo bem...se vais insistir que eu fique fechado, então é exactamente assim que vais conseguir".  Parece que o fecho pode estar a pensar desta forma, de qualquer maneira, porque ele só vai permitir que eu ganhe acesso relutantemente depois de  ter batalhado durante 5 minutos, e, eventualmente forçar o caminho para os meus bolsos.


  Um primo de primeiro grau do fecho e um que continua a fazer grande parte de contribuir para as furiosas dores de cabeça é o saco de plástico com fecho. Ele também tem o nome de fecho fácil, mas na minha experiência e opinião,  baseada numa extensa pesquisa realizada numa ampla variedade de circunstâncias, isso é publicidade enganosa. Ele nem fecha, encerra, ou sela...facilmente, ou pelo contrário. No outro dia, eu pensei que eu tinha o saco do frango selado correctamente, mas no caminho para o congelador ele abriu-se, e os pedaços de frango saltaram como um bando de pequenos pára-quedistas, a sair de um bombardeiro.


  Porque é que eu me refiro ao saco com fecho como o primo do fecho? Porque não são apenas umas formas de fechar, mas os inventores dos fechos e dos sacos de plástico com fecho eram irmãos. Eu sei de fontes seguras que os engenhosos irmãos também foram as mentes criativas por trás de vários outros produtos. Para esse fim, já estabeleci que, o inventor do fecho e o truque das velas de aniversário eram a mesma pessoa. Antes da introdução do saco com fecho, o outro irmão, que surgiu pela primeira vez com esta pequena jóia de utilidade, também nos deu as latas de alimentos de abertura fácil. Eu acho que eles não foram aprovados pela ADA....


  A argola de puxar, localizado na parte superior da lata, supostamente existe para nossa conveniência, tornando mais simples a abertura das latas. Eles esqueceram-se de avisar de antemão, que pelo menos metade do conteúdo da lata é líquido, e que se você tirar a parte de cima rapidamente e de modo violento, que a maioria do dito líquido é liberalmente distribuído pela  sua cozinha. Tentar fazer esta tarefa sem fazer uma bagunça é particularmente complicado quando uma pessoa tem uma forma de Ataxia, como eu.


  Passei a ser intimidado por este tipo de lata e abordá-la com uma atitude que faz fronteira com um ar de derrota...e  pergunto-me se eles querem que eu a  atire como uma granada depois de ter tirado o cimo violentamente.  Eu consigo com êxito puxar a tampa cerca de dois terços, mas paro nesta altura, mas é o último terço que me faz tremer de medo. Nunca parece fazer diferença, se remover o último terço rapidamente ou lentamente.


  Cabos eléctricos, ou qualquer outro tipo de cabo de extensão em questão, também estão a tentar tirar vantagem do meu estado caótico através de se  desenrolar. Na maior parte do tempo comportavam-se bem. Agora tentam fazer-me tropeçar em todas as oportunidades possíveis.


  Eu sempre os tratei com respeito. Eu nunca permiti que qualquer um dos cabos ficasse torcido e tenho  diligentemente tentado que eles se enrolem. Sempre tentei manter todos os cabos enrolados correctamente, ou bobinados correctamente, e enrolava-os de forma correcta logo após usá-los. Eu também os guardei num ambiente onde eles possam ser felizes. Eu nunca substituí uma corda de saltar por um cabo eléctrico, para um jogo rápido. Mas, aparentemente, isso não é razão suficiente para eles.


  Shiiiiiii...falamos de morder a mão que nos dá comida! Agora tenho que permanecer vigilante, constantemente em alerta sempre que utilizar qualquer equipamento que tenha um cabo, como o aspirador.


  O aspirador é um dos piores infractores, porque não importa quanto zangado, ou frustrado eu fico com ele, ele sabe que, eventualmente, eu estarei de volta para usá-lo novamente. Tudo o que ele faz é esperar um tempo no armário, e que, muito em breve eu não vou ser capaz de passar sem ele, e eu vou buscá-lo mais uma vez. Eu sou um optimista, e mantenho a esperança de que o cabo me vai dar tréguas e vai parar de se enrolar à volta dos meus tornozelos. É como uma Jibóia movendo-se para caçar a presa. A maior parte do tempo, depois de terminar de aspirar a casa toda, eu sinto-me como um encantador de cobras. Incansavelmente, parece nunca deixar de  tentar enrolar-se á volta dos meus tornozelos.


  E quem teria imaginado que um dia a gravata de borboleta se transformaria num estado de inteligência? Eu nunca pensei que o dia viria, quando um fio coberto com papel seria capaz de decidir se podia ser manipulado, e enrolou-se ao saco. O fio descarado também parece pensar que pode agora decidir se vai ficar  amarrado, ou aceitar depois da luta para o amarrar.


  Ou, talvez seja só eu......talvez.

No comments:

Post a Comment