Monday, July 31, 2017

The Last Laugh...Based On A True Story....Chapter 8...A Thought About Dining Out.



Chapter 8.jpeg
The audio version can be listened to at this link: www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaHbA6b-wOo

This chapter has also been translated into Portuguese and begins at the end of the English version.


Word of Kameron Wolfer…


My dad is and will always be a nurturing guy.  He would be there when we came home for kindergarten, ready to be tackled by our unstoppable energy.  He would allow us to develop our own fort out of the dining table.  He would make sure that dinner was on the table.  At his most exasperated, he would only sigh in a characteristic show of frustration, which was a mild reaction considering the terrors we could be at a young age.   No matter the diagnosis, he was always on the sidelines, cheering for his children when they participated in sports.


And yet, my dad is also a hard worker.  He would dutifully go off to work for years before his diagnosis to clean offices.  I remember loving to go with dad to work on “take your child to work” day because I sometimes got a pair of neat gloves and a Snickers bar out of the deal.  This continued pattern did not change until about a decade after his diagnosis.


                                    ……………………………………………….


  Have you ever heard someone use the expression, "it's right there...on the tip of my tongue"? I think that most people realize that this is not a direct reference to a thought or a phrase that is actually sitting right on the tip of your tongue…..as if it was just waiting for you to reach into your mouth, and pull out a piece of paper. A piece of paper which would be of close resemblance to the little note one would find in a fortune cookie.


  Although, what at first may appear to be a tiny and very helpful thing.... a little note like this could potentially turn into yet another obstacle for me, on what is already a long list of choking hazards. It might be nice for others if this was the way it worked, and it seems like it might simplify things, but alas, this isn't the case.


  Since I have limited resources available, what would be great though, is if I could divert the wattage or brainpower, which is used up by trying to retrieve several lost thoughts, to other areas in the system that are falling behind in their duties. I'm mainly thinking about the Cerebellum. Because, even though having an SCA may not directly correlate with the retrieval of wayward, and missing thoughts….trying to grab one, and drag it into a place where the idea can then be used in actual conversation, causes the same sort of sensation in me as does any of my physical limitations.


  This kind of situation actually happens to me quite a bit. Often it can feel as if someone is dangling a thought or phrase, the exact one that I am currently looking for, just out of my reach as if I were a circus animal….and I am being asked to sit up and beg for a paying audience. But, what usually happens, is that the minute I stop trying so hard to pull the thought into my grasp, it will simply appear in front of me like it was hiding in plain sight the whole time. All that I have to do now is reach out and take it…. although, with an SCA, I will have to grasp at the thought a few times before I can wrap my mind's clumsy and wooden fingers around it and obtain a firm hold.


  However, grasp it I finally do, and experience has shown me that once I have maintained a solid grip on a thought, I then need to clutch it in a stranglehold, and write it down or speak it as quickly as I can. Sometimes it feels as if I only have minutes before the thought will squirm itself out of my embrace, spring off the tip of my tongue where I initially found it…. and slip off into the night never to be heard from or seen again. Recently, however, I have been able to throttle a few thoughts about my personal experiences with dining-out into submission and would like to share them with you.


  When it comes to eating a meal in a restaurant, be it fine dining, casual, or fast-food, I have been pondering the importance of the proper attire. I knew that there had to be a connection between the choice of color, or the style of clothing worn, and that of the restaurant that becomes the selected place to dine. But the thought kept eluding me; I knew it was there, but it continued to dangle and swing seductively just beyond my grasp.


  That is, until the most recent time that I found myself sitting down for a meal in a restaurant. After looking at the carnage that I had left on the table, and the food that I had spilled on myself by the end of the meal, the thought finally edged close enough for me to grab. It finally dawned on me that I should be ordering my meal based solely on the color of my clothing.


  An example of this kind of system would be only to order, say, the Guacamole Burger when I am wearing a green shirt. This way I can walk out of the establishment with my head held high, and not resemble someone who has just spent a month engaged in a high-intensity food fight. Of course, I could just always wear neutral colored clothing when eating out, but this would mean that I would have to stick to water, and spilling this in my lap may lead others to arrive at some highly undesirable conclusions once I stand up to try to exit the building. Maybe if I just always stuck to wearing black. Everything goes well with black so it wouldn't matter what color of food that I had chosen to order. Plus, bonus...black makes you look slimmer, which means that I could feel good about ordering a dessert.


  Portion sizes, when this is an option, I have also discovered to be an important part or consideration, when ordering a meal in a restaurant. If I am hungry, which just so happens to continue to occur quite regularly, then I find that I need to order enough so that there will be a sufficient amount of food to evenly distribute onto the table, floor, my clothing, and yet still provide enough food to actually eat.


  Besides obvious reasons, like my age, I wouldn't order a kid's meal. Especially if I was planning on getting anything to eat (I do however wish that they would include a cool toy with the larger orders....this seems like a discrimination to me, but that's a subject for a later time). Sometimes I've wondered if it wouldn't simply be a whole lot easier to order an empty plate, sit in the booth for twenty minutes, tip the waiter, and go home. Or maybe one of Willy Wonka's sticks of gum that offer a full course meal.


  A close connection to the choice of the portion size is the utensil selected. I will always choose the chopstick, as long as the chopstick is rounded at the end and can aid me, by being used with one hand as a scoop, and.....well, pretty much resembles a spoon in every other way, also. So, by this definition of the chopstick, I guess what I am trying to convey here, is that bottom-line I will always choose the spoon over a stick whenever I find the option to do has presented itself.


  I do this for several reasons, one of which is because the spoon permits me to carry a larger payload to my mouth, allowing at the same time for a certain percentage of food to fall off on its upward journey. Also because the fork has sharp prongs that become potential W.O.M.D's, or, Weapons Of My Destruction with each bite that I attempt.


  I have also been known to fling fork-fulls of my meal onto the floor while seeking to cut the food into mouth size portions. I apply so much pressure to cutting that when the fork severs the piece that I am cutting, my hand doesn't stop, and I launch the food into space. Doing so would be a neat trick if it was intentional, like when someone throws food up in the air and then catches it in their mouth. I could do this if the object were not to grab the food in my mouth, but rather to hit myself in the eye, forehead, or throat.


  When this cutting-and-flinging occurs at home, my dogs are the only ones who benefit. This phenomenon also manifests itself when I try to scoop ice cream; only this has come to be referred to as the scoop-and-toss. It's the Ataxia version of a game I played as a kid with little square beanbags called Toss-Across. The only real difference here, to being that of a replica, is…. I liked to play Toss-Across, but wasn't very good at it…. however, I don't enjoy the game of The Ataxia-Fling, but appear to be quite good at it.


  I may find it to be frustrating, but the one thing I have always told myself is that I need to continue to do that which I am good at doing. I find the Ataxia-Fling to be an event of constant annoyance, but this truth does not mean that I do not let myself embrace it. I may have a moment of anger with myself, but in the end, I have discovered that I can have a chuckle at my expense, and find enjoyment in the midst of the aftermath. Flinging is my strength...why should I fight it.


  With this in mind, I envision a restaurant that is entirely owned and operated by those with the handicap of ataxia.  It could be named Che'SpaZtic's, and a potential theme would be, "Where good friends are always welcome, and the food is always flying."


  Everything would be made and cooked in a big glass-encased room that would be in a central location, and surrounded by the dining room so that everyone would have, and enjoy, an unencumbered view of the kitchen. Doing it this way would serve a dual purpose. Watching food being prepared, and thrown around, by the cook staff would be an educational experience, but would also act as a means by which to provide the night's entertainment.


  So, Che'SpaZtic's would sort of be like going to a dinner theater, and there would, of course, be a cover charge as such. All drinks would be personally shaken only by default, not stirred, and the water glasses would be double the size of the regular water glass that you would find at a regular sit down restaurant. That way, by the time the waitperson arrives at your table, and half the water has sloshed out while they walked, you will still receive a nice amount of ice water.


  There would not be a dress code, however since my SCA will be accompanying me, the use of rubber clothing or bibs would be strongly encouraged, and of course, available to rent at a kiosk that will be located in the front foyer. And, of course, there would also be a theme night. The most popular theme I predict would be food-fight night, although I can't figure on exactly why, or even how this night might stand out as being any different from any of the other typical nights at Che'SpaZtics.

  Well, whatever the case….to coin a well-known phrase, “I wouldn’t just be the owner, but I would also be a client….and I know that I would enjoy eating there”! Would you like me to make a reservation for you?


Um pensamento sobre comer fora


As palavras de Kameron Wolfer...


O meu pai será sempre muito carinhoso.  Ele estava lá quando chegávamos em casa do jardim-de-infância, pronto para aguentar a nossa inesgotável energia.  Ele permitia-nos desenvolver as nossas próprias brincadeiras fora da mesa de jantar.  Ele certificava-se de que o jantar estava na mesa.  Na sua maioria, de desespero, ele só suspirava de uma forma característica de mostrar a sua frustração, que era uma reacção suave em comparação com os terrores que nós podíamos ser naquela idade.   Não importava o diagnóstico, ele mantinha-se sempre do lado de fora, a apoiar os seus filhos quando eles praticavam desporto.


E mesmo assim, o meu pai continuava a ser muito trabalhador.  Ele com grande responsabilidade saía para trabalhar, para limpar os escritórios, nos anos precedentes ao seu diagnóstico.  Lembro-me de gostar de ir com o meu pai para o trabalho, o dia de "levar seu filho para o trabalho", porque às vezes dava-me um par de luvas e uma barra de chocolate Snickers. Isso era bom negócio.  Isto continuou assim sem alterações até uma década após o seu diagnóstico.
                                    ……………………………………………….
  Já ouviu alguém usar a expressão, "na ponta da minha língua"? Eu acho que a maioria das pessoas percebe que esta não é uma referência directa a um pensamento ou uma frase que está realmente sentada na ponta da língua..... Como que se estivesse apenas esperando que metesse a mão na boca, e puxasse para fora um pedaço de papel. Um pedaço de papel que seria parecido com o que se encontra num biscoito da sorte.


  Porém, o que à primeira vista pode parecer uma coisa pequena e muito útil .... uma pequena nota como esta poderia potencialmente se transformar ainda noutro obstáculo para mim, no que já é uma longa lista de perigos de asfixia. Até podia ser bom para os outros, se fosse esta a maneira como funcionava,  parecia que podia simplificar as coisas, mas, infelizmente, este não é o caso.


  Como tenho recursos limitados disponíveis, o que seria óptimo, porém, era se eu pudesse desviar a potência ou capacidade intelectual, que foi gasto a tentar recuperar vários pensamentos perdidos, para outras áreas do sistema que se estão a atrasar nas suas tarefas. Estou sobretudo a pensar sobre o Cerebelo. Porque, apesar de ter SCA não poderá por si  estar directamente relacionada com a recuperação, ou falta de pensamentos....tentar apanhar, e arrastá-lo para um local onde a ideia, possa ser usada numa conversa real, causa em mim o mesmo tipo de sensação que qualquer outra das minhas limitações físicas.


  Este tipo de situação, na verdade, acontece-me muitas vezes. Muitas vezes, parece que sinto que alguém está agitando o pensamento ou a frase, exacta que eu procuro, e está apenas fora do meu alcance, como que se eu fosse um animal do circo....e eu estou a ser obrigado sentar-me e implorar perante  um público pagante. Mas, o que geralmente acontece, é que no momento em que eu paro de tentar afincadamente para apanhar o pensamento, ele simplesmente aparece na minha frente como que estivesse lá o tempo todo, escondido à vista de todos. Tudo o que eu tenho que fazer agora é a alcançar e agarrar.... porém, no caso com SCA, tenho que agarrar o pensamento várias vezes antes de conseguir pôr na mente, desajeitada e dedos de madeira dedos para o conseguir agarrar.


  Porém, consigo segura-lo finalmente, e a experiência mostra-me que consegui manter o pensamento preso, então tenho que o segurar prendê-lo e depois escrevê-lo ou dizê-lo o mais rápido possível. Por vezes parece que  só passaram minutos antes de o pensamento escapar-se e saltar da ponta da minha língua, onde inicialmente eu o encontrei.... e escorregou para a noite para nunca mais ser ouvido ou visto. Recentemente,  no entanto, eu tenho sido capaz de acelerar alguns pensamentos sobre as minhas experiências pessoal de comer fora  que gostava de partilha-las convosco.


  Quando se trata de comer uma refeição num restaurante, seja ele de jantar formal, casual, ou de fast-food, tenho vindo a ponderar sobre a importância do traje adequado. Eu sabia que tinha que haver uma ligação entre a escolha da cor, ou o estilo de roupa usada, e a do restaurante, que se torna o local seleccionado para jantar. Mas o pensamento continuou a enganar-me; eu sabia que estava lá, mas ele continuou a dançar e dançar sedutoramente para lá do meu alcance.


  Isto é, até o momento mais recente o que eu achei quando me sento para  uma refeição num restaurante. Depois de olhar para o massacre que deixei na mesa, e a comida que eu  derramei sobre mim, no final da refeição, o pensamento finalmente passou suficientemente perto para eu o puder agarrar. Finalmente pensei que deveria pedir a minha refeição com base exclusivamente na cor da minha roupa.


  Um exemplo deste tipo de sistema seria apenas para encomendar, digamos, uma Hamburguer Guacamole apenas quando eu estivesse com uma camisa verde vestida. Dessa forma eu posso sair do restaurante de cabeça erguida, e não como alguém que acabou de passar um mês empenhado numa luta de comida de alta intensidade. Claro, eu também podia sempre usar roupas de cores neutras sempre que ia  comer fora, mas isso significaria que eu apenas iria beber a  água, e se a derramasse no meu colo podia levar os outros a chegar a algumas conclusões altamente indesejáveis quando eu me levantasse para sair do   edifício. Talvez, se eu sempre vestisse preto. Tudo vai bem com preto então não fazia mal qual a cor da comida que eu iria escolher para comer. Além disso, tem um bónus...o preto faz uma pessoa parecer mais magra, o que significa que eu poderia me sentir à vontade para pedir também uma sobremesa.


  O tamanho das porções, quando isto é uma opção, também descobri que é uma parte importante a considerar, quando encomendar uma refeição num restaurante. Se eu estou com fome, que acontece regularmente, então eu tenho que pedir o suficiente para que haja uma quantidade suficiente de alimentos para distribuir uniformemente sobre a mesa, o chão, a minha roupa, e ainda haver  alimentos suficientes para realmente comer.


  Além dos motivos óbvios, como a minha idade, eu nunca pediria uma refeição de criança. Especialmente se eu planeava adquirir alguma coisa para comer (porém desejava que incluíssem um brinquedo com as porções maiores ....isso parece-me discriminação, mas isso é um assunto para mais tarde). Às vezes eu pensei que iria simplesmente ser mais fácil pedir simplesmente  um prato vazio, sentar-me lá durante vinte minutos, dar gorjeta ao empregado de mesa, e regressar a casa. Ou talvez um chupa " Willy Wonka" que oferecem uma refeição completa.


  Uma ligação estreita com a escolha do tamanho da porção é o utensílio seleccionado. Eu vou escolher sempre os pauzinhos, se os pauzinhos forem arredondado na ponta e pode me ajudar, e ser usado com uma mão, como uma colher, e.....bem, muito semelhante a uma colher. Assim, com esta definição de pauzinhos, eu acho que o que eu estou a tentar transmitir aqui, é que basicamente eu vou sempre escolher a colher em vez de um pau, sempre que eu tenha a opção de escolher.


  Eu faço isto por várias razões, uma das quais é porque a colher permite-me transportar uma carga maior para a minha boca, permitindo ao mesmo tempo que uma certa percentagem de comida possa cair em sua jornada ascendente. Também porque o garfo tem dentes afiados, que se podem tornar potenciais, Armas da Minha Destruição em cada vez que o levo à boca.


  Também tenho ficado conhecido por atirar garfos cheios de comida para o chão, enquanto tento cortar os alimentos num tamanho para comer. Eu aplico tanta pressão para cortar a comida que, quando o garfo que segura o pedaço que estou a cortar, a minha mão não pára, e eu lanço a comida para o espaço. Isso seria um truque engraçado, como quando alguém joga comida no ar e, em seguida, apanha-a com a boca. Eu poderia fazer tudo isso, se o objectivo não fosse apanhar a comida na minha boca, mas ao invés  de acertar nos olhos, a testa, ou na garganta.


  Quando este cortar e arremessar ocorre em casa, os meus cães são os únicos a beneficiar. Esse fenómeno também acontece quando eu tento servir-me  de sorvete; só este tem vindo a ser referido como sirva-se e arremesse. É a versão Ataxia de um jogo que eu jogava em garoto com pequenos sacos quadrados chamado arremessar para o outro lado. A única diferença aqui, para ser uma réplica, é.... Eu gostava de jogar arremesse  para o outro lado, mas não era muito bom .... no entanto, eu não aprecio o jogo da Ataxia-Arremessar, mas parece que sou muito bom nele.


  Eu posso achá-lo frustrante, mas uma coisa que eu sempre disse a mim mesmo que eu preciso continuar a fazer aquilo em que sou bom. Eu acho que o Ataxia-Arremessar é um evento constantemente incómodo, mas na verdade não quer dizer que eu não deixe de abraçá-lo. Eu posso ter um momento de raiva de mim mesmo, mas no final, eu descobri que posso rir às minhas custas, e encontrar prazer no meio do rescaldo. Arremessar é o meu forte, e então porque deveria lutar contra isso.


  Com isso em mente, eu imagino um restaurante que é inteiramente a propriedade e gerido por pessoas com deficiência de Ataxia.  Poderia chamar-se Che'SpaZtic, e um tema potencial seria, "onde bons amigos são sempre bem-vindos, e a comida é sempre a voar."


  Tudo seria feito e cozida numa divisão grande envolta em vidro localizada no centro, rodeada pela sala de jantar para que todos tenham, e desfrutem de uma visão desobstruída da cozinha. Fazendo isso dessa forma, poderia servir a um duplo propósito. Vendo a comida a ser preparada, e atirada à volta, pelos empregados da cozinha seria uma experiência educativa, mas também de actuar como um meio para proporcionar uma noite de entretenimento.


  Assim, Che'SpaZtic seria como ir a um jantar do teatro, e haveria, está claro, uma taxa abrangente como tal. Todas as bebidas seriam abanadas pessoalmente apenas por defeito, não mexidas, e os copos de água seriam o dobro do tamanho de copos de água regulares que se encontram noutro restaurante. Dessa forma, quando  o servente chegasse à sua mesa, e metade da água tivesse sido entornada enquanto caminhavam, você ainda recebia bastante água com gelo.


  Não haveria indumentária aconselhada, no entanto, desde que a minha SCA vai me estar a acompanhar, o uso de roupas de borracha ou babetes seriam fortemente encorajados, e está claro, disponível para alugar num quiosque, que estará localizada no hall de entrada. E, claro, também haveria uma noite temática. O mais popular tema eu prevejo que seria noite da luta de alimentos, embora eu não consigo entender exactamente  porquê, ou mesmo como esta noite pode se destacar como sendo diferente de qualquer outra das noites típicas no Che'SpaZtics.


  Bem, seja qual for o caso....fazer uma conhecida frase, "eu não iria ser apenas o proprietário, mas também seria um cliente....e eu sei que eu iria gostar de comer lá"! Gostaria que eu  fizesse uma reserva para si?

No comments:

Post a Comment