Sunday, July 2, 2017

The Last Laugh...Based On A True Story, Chapter 4...I Wish I Were A Maitre'D

Snapseed.jpg

Here is the audio version: www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhgTQBP7FUo

This chapter has also been translated into Portuguese, which is available on this blog, proceeding the English version.

Has medical science helped? Words of Melissa Wolfer...
Jason goes into see his neurologist annually.  She checks his reflexes, monitors the degeneration of his condition and offers advice as needed.  However, the bottom line is that there is not much modern medical science can do.  Sure, there are exercises to strengthen and help the muscles compensate for the lack of coordination.  There is equipment that can be used and installed to make life easier and safer. Even a physical therapist can provide advice on things to try and things to do, to make clumsy limbs do what they are supposed to do.  All these things help, but do not cure or slow the progression of the disease/condition known as Spinocerebellar Ataxia.

What we have noticed is that because Jason’s body works so hard each day just to keep him upright, it does not have the strength to battle the viruses or extend his day a couple more hours. He needs his rest.  He must not ignore the signals from his body.  What does this mean for his partner? I must be more aware.  Does he need help, should he use a walker, should he sit down, do I need to do something for him, etc.?  It also means that I need to keep myself healthy so that I can help him. Although I work, I need to try and do as much from home as possible.  We need to set aside money to make sure that he has those things he needs to make his body safe, handrails, walkers, walking sticks, a good bed, and all the other things that a normal coordinated person takes for granted.

                              ………………………………………………………………


  In nineteen eighty-six I attended the Culinary Art Institute which was located in Portland, Oregon. The school had a restaurant that was run by the students, and which was open to the public for dinner. For the students attending, the program was a thirteen-month course that cycled a student through six different disciplines, in one-month increments.

  The focus of each of the six classes was on a different aspect of the meal, and so accordingly, we spent the first six months attending the school during the day hours preparing smaller dishes...that we would consume. We would then switch to an evening schedule and do everything again but in a more advanced way. We were now concerned with the evening meal, and wanted it to be a more elegant and refined experience for our diners.

  Before I go on and share with you one of the several pointed memories that I have of my time spent at the Culinary School, which is my original intent behind writing about my past culinary education….I need first to address the obvious question that you probably have floating through your mind at this moment. "Jason, you just stated that it was a thirteen-month course?"  "Yes...yes, I did." "Okay, well then, you also said that you went for six months during the day, and six months during the evening." " Again, you would be correct." "Uh..well, unless I'm missing something here, those two statements don't add up."

  Mathematics in school, no matter how you added it up, was hands-down my worst subject. I took Algebra One when I was a Sophomore in High School. Then during my Senior year, I decided to take Algebra Two, which was not a requirement. In my moments of quiet reflection, I continue to wonder what possibly could have motivated me to make such a choice. Whatever it may have been, though, I can only imagine that it is a reason that could quite easily go down as one of history's greatest unsolved mysteries....being slightly edged out in that category by the Great Pyramids.

  I dropped the math class after one week, to instead try my hand...or hands as it was...at typing. The Algebra Two class had begun by doing a simple review of the equations and properties, for solving some of the problems that were currently happening in the alphabet world, apparently, it had something to do with A and B trying to equal X.  I was completely lost, having not an ounce of recognition for any of those things that the math teacher claimed were fundamental concepts and formulas that I should know from previously having taken Algebra One.

  Of course, this all came back to mock me in a rather large way when it came time to help my children with their math homework. I think that I was successfully able to get them past the first grade before they started coming home from school, and saying, "Dad! The answer you showed me was all wrong."

  I didn't fare much better in typing class, either. Because thirty-five years ago, typewriters were manual, and in general harder to use in my opinion. I was forever getting my fingers stuck between the keys. However, after several classes, and dogged determination, I did manage to mount a blank sheet of paper correctly, resulting in the paper rolling into the desired alignment, and having it ready to be properly typed on. Not by me, of course, but ready for somebody.

During the first several days of this class, the typing instructor first had us do several things. We had to be able to type with both hands without looking at them. We had to continue to practice this over and over, and only after the successful accomplishment of being able to copy a whole page, while only making a limited number of mistakes, were we allowed to move on.  I never did advance…..at least not based on my skills, or overall command of typing. The teacher moved me up after about one month of my fruitless and straining efforts, long after the rest of the class had moved forward onto the electric machines.

   Everyone else in the class was able to type the forty words with only two or three mistakes and do so within the time limit.  I, on the other hand, was able to accomplish the opposite, typing forty mistakes while getting two or three words right within the deadline....and if memory serves, they were single letter words, like I and a...or they were one syllable words, like if and the.

    I never did learn to type very well, as this simple act of two-handed coordination seemed to elude me. I truly believe that everything about my growing up years was a precursor for SCA. But this is just a possible explanation because basically, I have no proof that this is the case. Only my suspicion, and the theory that it could be explained in this way.

  Anyhow, back to the sub-point of my main point.

  I am perfectly aware that six months plus six months does not equal thirteen-months. But, I'm telling you, it was a thirteen-month course, and here's how that whole thing worked. Before the first half started, we went through a one-month course of what might be referred to as Culinary Boot Camp.

  This first month introduced us to and began to immerse us in, every aspect of the food-based world. Unfortunately for the Chefs that would be guiding our education through our thirteen-month journey, one of the undesirable lessons that we absorbed rather quickly during this time was the quickest and most efficient way in which to elicit an excited reaction from them.

  The students were taught to wash dishes using a three-part washing method. There were three sinks, and each was a different stage in the cleaning process. The first sink was full of warm soapy water, the second sink was full of hot water for rinsing, and the third held water containing a sanitizer, which the dishes would then soak in to finish. The one thing that the students were instructed by the chefs never to do was to leave knives in the first sink because it was soapy and no one would be able to see the potential danger.  Ignoring this warning could result in a terrible cut if someone were to reach in, not knowing the knife was there.

   So, what did we do? Why, toss red food coloring into the sink whenever we deemed it necessary, of course. We never tired of this little amusement either, as one of the Chefs would walk around the kitchen yelling, "who cut themselves?" Ah, the elements of immature restaurant humor. I thought it was pretty funny, but maybe you had to be there.

   However, the main point of this chapter revolves around the idea of being a Maitre'D at an elegant restaurant. I started to tell you about the school that I went to in 1986 because of a story of mine which happened while I was a student at that Institute.

   While attending, the students spent part of the time going through a restaurant orientation, which included waiting on tables, being the wine steward, and of course as a Maitre'D. I was working the front podium one night, and while I was looking down at the list of reservations, I heard the front door open, and a woman say, "excuse me?" I looked up, and it was a woman alright, but she had not one stitch of clothing on….nada...zip. She stood before me totally naked, and apparently very confused. She was looking around like she did not recognize anything, and could not understand where she was.

   This confusion of mind, unfortunately for me and for her as well, led to the currently uncomfortable situation. Luckily for me, the dining room was dark and lay somewhat hidden behind the front desk. All of these factors meant that no one else saw her, and I was able to remove my dinner jacket quickly, wrap it around her, and gently, while also displaying that this was a delicate matter of some urgency, push the lady into the front office which was conveniently located right next door.

   There were several sets of eyes popping, as the unsuspecting instructors that were in that office at the time, had a half-naked, hysterical woman suddenly thrust upon them. They eventually learned where our surprise guest resided, and someone took her home. I later found out that she had been sunbathing au naturel on her fire escape, locked herself out, got sunstroke, became confused, shimmied down the metal walkway, and then chose our restaurant to stumble into….while I was working! I've never won a random lottery,  nor have I ever been very lucky with a drawing, or door prize of any kind…..but a random naked stranger? Yep... and my fellow students never let me forget the incident for the rest of the time that we were there.

   Another story from my time as a waiter in the school restaurant occurred when I was in the rotation as the Dessert Steward. The practice of the dining room was to present the patrons with a cart full of desserts at their table, allowing them to see, and decide on which delectable item looked good to them. On the night that this was my job, one of the desserts that could be chosen by the diner was a Caramel Berry Flambe….which would be cooked tableside.

    I had a table of five that chose this dessert, and so I retreated into the kitchen and brought out a cart that was designed for cooking beside the guest’s table. The cart was equipped with several hot plates and shiny copper skillets for a nicer presentation. I proceeded to make the Caramelized Berry Reduction fine, and all was going very well….the people were amazed and impressed at my showmanship.

   Things took a bad turn, though, when it came time to set flame to the caramelly dessert. We were supposed to cover the dessert, while it was still in the copper skillet, with a three-ounce ladle of Brandy. We would then ignite the sauce, let it burn itself out within a minute, to the oohs and ahhs of the diners, and then pour the sweet, delectable syrup over the item of their choice. This is not exactly the way it happened when I was in charge, though.

   I was doomed from the start, having in haste chosen a six-ounce ladle for flaming the Brandy, instead of the required three-ounce measurement. The second problem was that I had positioned myself in a back corner. In combination, what this all meant was that, not only was the resulting flame higher and more spectacular than expected but when the flame shot into my face and I tried to instinctively back up, I hit the wall, causing my eyebrows to become thoroughly singed. The pungent odor of burnt hair was almost covered up by the sweet caramel smell. Almost.

   This particular event, plus others, seemed to serve as imminent signs...precursors, if you will, to my current state of mind (neurologically speaking, of course). I say, “plus others”, because there are other examples of this, including the time that, acting again as a dessert steward I dropped and bounced several French Pastries off the school president's head…..while he was dining with several other businessmen. I will stop with that last example, though, because if I kept going this simple book would turn into a trilogy.

   The one thing though that I never had to do as a Maitre'd, was to tell someone that they didn't have a reservation, and therefore they couldn't get in. Or, that they were not wearing the proper dress clothing for our fine establishment. And those...those reasons right there, are the whole reason why I would like to be a Maitre'D today. Well, I would very much enjoy being a Maitre'D where my SCA is concerned, anyhow.
  What I wouldn't give to be able to turn him away! To have him show up, and to be able to say, "Nope, sorry, there are absolutely no vacancies." Or, "Sir, are you serious? You can't get in looking that way!" Then I would quit my job immediately, and move very far away so that when SCA called again in an attempt at making another reservation, I would be gone. Or better yet....I would completely sell out, closing the business down straight away...so that SCA would reach an unlisted number when he tried to call.

 More than likely, though, neither of these tactics would have ever worked, but I would have at least liked to have been able to try. Regardless, however, SCA is the WHOLE reason behind wishing that I were a Maitre'D today.




Capítulo 4...Eu Desejava ser  Maitre'D


A ciência médica ajudou? Palavras de Melissa Wolfer...
O Jason é seguido pelo seu neurologista anualmente.  Ela verifica os seus reflexos, avalia a degeneração da sua condição, e aconselha, conforme necessário.  No entanto, a realidade é que não há muito que a ciência médica moderna possa fazer.  Existem exercícios para fortalecer e ajudar os músculos a compensar a falta de coordenação.  Há equipamento que pode ser utilizado e instalado para tornar a vida mais fácil e segura. Até a fisioterapeuta pode dar conselhos sobre coisas para experimentar, e coisas para fazer, com que os membros desajeitados façam o que deveriam fazer.  Todas essas coisas ajudam, mas não curam nem atrasam a progressão da doença/condição conhecida como Ataxia Spinocerebelosa.


O que temos notado é que, porque o corpo do Jason trabalha tanto todos os dias para se manter de pé, ele não tem a força para combater os vírus, ou prolongar o seu dia por mais um par de horas. Ele precisa de descansar.  Ele não pode ignorar os sinais do seu corpo.  O que é que isso significa para o seu parceiro? Eu tenho que estar mais consciente.  Será que ele precisa de ajuda, ele deve usar um andador, ele deve sentar-se, eu preciso de fazer algo por ele, etc?  Isso também significa que eu preciso para me manter saudável, para que eu o possa ajudar. Apesar de eu trabalhar, eu preciso tentar trabalhar tanto quanto possível a partir de casa.  Precisamos de poupar o dinheiro para certificar-se de que ele tem tudo o que precisa para a sua segurança, corrimãos, andadores, bengalas, uma boa cama, e todas as outras coisas que uma pessoa normal coordenada dá como certo.
                              ………………………………………………………………


  Em mil novecentos e oitenta e seis frequentei o instituto de Culinary Art, na cidade de Portland, Oregon. A escola tinha um restaurante dirigido pelos alunos, e que estava aberto ao público para o jantar. Para os alunos que frequentavam, o programa era um curso de treze meses, que preparava os alunos através de seis disciplinas diferentes, em prestações de um mês.


  O foco de cada uma das seis aulas era sobre um aspecto diferente da refeição, e assim sucessivamente, nós passamos os primeiros seis meses a frequentar a escola durante o dia, a preparar os pratos mais pequenos...que nós viríamos a consumir. Depois mudávamos para o programa da noite e fazíamos tudo de novo, mas de uma forma mais avançada. Agora estávamos empenhados com a refeição da noite, e queríamos que fosse ainda mais elegante e refinada a experiência dos nossos clientes.


  Antes de eu partilhar consigo uma das várias lembranças que eu tenho do meu tempo na Escola de Culinária, que é a minha intenção original por trás do texto sobre o meu passado no ensino da culinária....Eu preciso primeiro de abordar a questão óbvia que você provavelmente tem em mente nesta altura. "Jason, acabou de afirmar que era um curso de treze meses?" "Sim...sim, eu disse." "Ok, bem, então, também disse que  passou por seis meses, durante o dia, e seis meses durante a noite." "Está novamente correcta." "Uh..bem, a menos que alguma coisa esteja  a falhar,  essas duas afirmações não somam."


  Matemática na escola, não importa como a vê, era de longe a minha pior disciplina. Eu estudei  Álgebra Um, quando era caloiro no ensino secundário. Depois, durante meu último ano, eu decidi estudar Álgebra Dois,  que não era um requisito. Nos meus momentos de reflexão silenciosa, continuo a perguntar-me o que possivelmente poderia me ter motivado a fazer tal escolha. Seja lá o que possa ter sido, porém, eu só posso imaginar que é um motivo que poderia facilmente ser como um dos maiores mistérios da história não resolvidos....sendo um pouco afastados dessa categoria pelas Grandes Pirâmides.


  Eu larguei a aula de matemática após uma semana, para então tentar a minha mão...ou mãos como se chamava...dactilografia. A aula de Álgebra Dois tinha iniciado por fazer uma revisão simples de equações e propriedades, para resolver alguns dos problemas que estavam acontecendo actualmente com o alfabeto do mundo, aparentemente, tinha algo a ver com A e B tentando igualar X. Eu estava completamente perdido, não tendo um pingo de aptidão para qualquer das coisas, que o professor de matemática alegou foram conceitos e fórmulas fundamentais que eu deveria saber tendo previamente feito Álgebra um.


  Claro, tudo isso voltou só para me chatear de uma forma gigante, quando chegou a hora de ajudar meus filhos com os seus deveres de matemática. Pensava que era capaz de saber mais que a primeiro ano até que eles começaram a chegar em casa da escola, a dizer: "Pai! A resposta que me ensinas-te estava tudo errado."


  Eu não me saí muito melhor na aula de dactilografia. Porque há trinta e cinco anos, as máquinas de escrever eram manuais, e a meu ver, mais difícil de usar. Eu estava sempre a entalar os meus dedos entre as teclas. No entanto, depois de várias aulas, e determinação obstinada, consegui montar uma folha de papel branco correctamente, para este rolar para o alinhamento desejado, e ficar pronto para dactilografar correctamente. Não por mim, está claro, mas pronto para alguém.


Durante os primeiros dias de aula, o instrutor da dactilografia mandava fazer várias coisas. Devíamos ser capaz de escrever com as duas mãos, sem olhar para as teclas. Tivemos que continuar a praticar continuamente, e só depois de conseguir copiar uma página inteira, fazendo apenas um número limitado de erros, poderíamos passar à frente.  Eu nunca consegui passar.....pelo menos com base nas minhas habilidades, ou capacidade de dactilografar. O professor deixou-me passar depois de cerca de um mês dos meus infrutíferos e sobrecarregados esforços, muito tempo depois do resto da turma o ter conseguido, passar para máquinas eléctricas.


   Todos na turma, conseguiam dactilografar as quarenta palavras com apenas dois ou três erros e fazê-lo dentro do tempo limite.  Eu, porém conseguia exactamente o oposto, era capaz de dactilografar  quarenta erros apenas com duas ou três palavras certas, dentro do prazo....e se a memória não me falha, estas tinham apenas uma única letra...ou eram de uma sílaba palavras, como: se e da.


    Eu nunca aprendi a dactilografar muito bem,  este simples gesto de  coordenar as duas mãos parecia me escapar. Eu realmente acredito que tudo sobre meus anos de crescimento foi um precursor para a SCA. Mas esta é apenas uma explicação possível porque, basicamente, eu não tenho nenhuma prova de que este foi o caso. Apenas suspeito, e a teoria que poderia ser explicado desta forma.


  De qualquer forma, de volta para o sub-ponto do meu ponto principal.


  Tenho a perfeita noção que, seis meses mais seis meses não é igual a treze meses. Mas, confirmo, que foi um curso de treze meses, e funcionou assim. Inicialmente fizemos um curso de um mês, o que pode ser referido como treino intensivo de Culinária.


  O primeiro mês aprendíamos e praticávamos  todos os aspectos da base alimentar do mundo. Infelizmente para os Chefes o que seria a orientação da nossa educação, através de nossa viagem de treze meses, uma das lições indesejáveis que aprendemos rapidamente durante este tempo, foi a melhor e  mais rápida  maneira de estimular uma animada reacção neles.


  Os alunos eram ensinados a lavar pratos, utilizando o método de lavagem em três passos. Havia três pias, e cada uma era uma fase diferente, no processo de limpeza. A primeira pia estava cheia de água morna e sabão, a segunda pia estava cheia de água quente para passar por água  e a terceira com água e um desinfectante, onde os pratos eram mergulhados para concluir. A única coisa que os alunos foram instruídos pelos chefes para nunca fazer, era deixar facas na primeira pia, porque tinha sabão e ninguém poderia ver o potencial perigo.  Ignorar este aviso pode resultar num terrível corte, se alguém meter as mãos na pia não sabendo que a faca estava lá.


   Então, o que fizemos? Despejamos corante vermelho na pia, sempre que necessário, é claro. Nós nunca nos cansamos de um pouco de diversão, especialmente quando  um dos Chefes corria pela  cozinha, a gritar, " quem se cortou?" Ah, os elementos de humor imaturo no restaurante. Eu pensei que foi muito engraçado, mas talvez fosse necessário estar presente para achar engraçado.


   Porém, o ponto principal deste capítulo gira em torno da ideia de trazer um Maitre'D a um restaurante elegante. Eu comecei a contar-lhe sobre a escola que eu frequentei a partir de 1986, por causa de uma história que aconteceu enquanto eu estudava nesse Instituto.


   Enquanto frequentavam, os alunos passaram algum tempo, passando por orientação de restaurante, que incluía servir às mesas, servindo também  o vinho, e, claro, como Maitre'D. Estava a trabalhar numa noite na recepção da sala de jantar, e enquanto olhava para a lista de reservas, ouvi a porta da frente abrir, e uma mulher dizer, "desculpe-me?" Olhei, e era realmente uma mulher, mas ela não tinha nada vestido ....nada mesmo. Ela estava na minha frente totalmente nua, e, aparentemente, muito confusa. Ela parecia não conhecer nada á volta dela, e não conseguia perceber onde estava.


   Esta confusão de espírito, infelizmente para mim e para ela também, tornou a actual situação desconfortável. Felizmente para mim, estava escuro na sala de jantar que ficava um pouco escondida atrás da recepção. Todos estes factores significaram que ninguém a viu, e eu consegui tirar o minha jaqueta e rapidamente, enrolei-o à volta dela cuidadosamente, e  enquanto, como   também era um assunto delicado  e urgente, empurrei a senhora para dentro do escritório que estava situado no lado direito.


   Os instrutores inocentes ficaram muito admirados, estavam no escritório para onde eu empurrei e obrigando-os a partilhar o espaço com  uma mulher semi-nua e histérica. Eles eventualmente souberam onde ela vivia e levaram-na a casa. Mais tarde eu descobri que ela tinha estado a bronzear-se ao natural na escadas de incêndio e fechou-se na rua, apanhou um escaldão, ficou confusa, desceu as escadas de metal, e escolheu para entrar no restaurante ... enquanto eu trabalhava! Eu nunca ganhei a lotaria, nem sempre tenho tido muita sorte com sorteios,  ou qualquer prémio....mas uma desconhecida nua, estranho? Sim... e os meus colegas nunca mais me deixam esquecer o incidente enquanto lá estive.


   Outro episódio que aconteceu, quando eu geria as sobremesas, enquanto servi à mesa no restaurante escolar. O normal era apresentar um carrinho  cheio de sobremesas a cada mesa, permitindo-lhes ver, e decidir o  que achariam mais apetitoso. Na noite em que eu estava de serviço, uma das sobremesas que podiam ser escolhidas era um Caramelo Berry Flambe.... que seria preparado  na mesa.


    Eu tive uma mesa de cinco que escolheram esta sobremesa, e então retirei-me para a cozinha e trouxe um carrinho próprio para cozinhar ao lado da mesa dos hóspedes. O carro estava equipado com várias chapas quentes e caçarolas  brilhantes  de cobre para uma apresentação mais bonita. Eu continuei a fazer a redução da baga caramelizada, e tudo estava indo muito bem....os clientes estavam espantados e impressionados com o meu carisma.


   As coisas começaram a correr mal, porém, quando chegou a altura de ligar a chama para o caramelo da sobremesa. Nós deveríamos cobrir a sobremesa, enquanto ela ainda estava na frigideira de cobre, com uma concha de Conhaque. Então, acendíamos o molho, que ardia até se apagar no prazo de um minuto, para os  oohs e ahhs de admiração dos clientes e, de seguida, despejemos a doce e deliciosa calda sobre a sobremesa da sua escolha. Isto não era exactamente o caso quando eu estava no comando.


   Eu estava condenado desde o início, quando apressadamente escolhido uma concha com o dobro do tamanho para flamejar com brandy, em vez da concha com três onças uma de seis. O segundo problema era que eu estava posicionado no canto de trás. Em resultado isto significou que a chama ficou muito maior e espectacular, mas quando a chama aumentou subitamente para o meu rosto eu desviei-me instintivamente para trás, e bati na parede, mas as minhas sobrancelhas ficaram completamente chamuscadas. O cheiro forte a cabelo chamuscado era quase suprimido pelo doce cheiro do caramelo. Quase.


   Este evento em particular, além de outros, parecia servir como sinais iminentes...precursores, se ver desta forma, ao meu actual estado de espírito (neurologicamente falando, é claro). Eu digo, "entre outros", porque existem outros exemplos, incluindo a altura em que, actuando novamente como mordomo das sobremesas, eu deixei cair e saltaram várias vezes umas sobremesas francesas, por cima da cabeça do presidente da escola.....quando ele foi lá jantar com vários outros empresários. Eu acabo aqui com este último exemplo, porque eu quero manter este livro simples se não vai virar a uma trilogia.


   A única coisa que eu nunca tive de fazer como Maitre foi dizer a alguém que não podiam entrar porque não tinham reservado. Ou, que a sua indumentária não era apropriada para o nosso estabelecimento. E essas...essas eram as razões pela qual eu continuava a gostar de ser um Maitre até hoje. Bem, eu gostava muito de ser Maitre'D se não fosse a minha SCA.
  O que eu não daria para a poder afastar para longe! Para ela se apresentar e eu poder dizer, "desculpe, não temos absolutamente nenhuma vaga." Ou, "Senhor, tem a certeza? Não pode entrar com essa aparência!" Então, eu despedia-me do emprego imediatamente, e mudava-me para bem longe, no caso de SCA aparecer novamente a fazer nova tentativa de reserva, e eu já lá não estaria. Ou melhor ainda....Eu vendia tudo, fechava o negócio de imediato...de modo que  se a SCA telefonasse iria chegar a um número não atribuído.

 O mais provável, porém, é que nenhuma destas tácticas teriam funcionado, mas pelo menos, eu tinha sido capaz de tentar. Independentemente disso, porém, a SCA é a grande razão por trás do meu  desejo de ser um Maitre'D ainda hoje.

No comments:

Post a Comment