Sunday, July 9, 2017

The Last Laugh...Based On A True Story, Chapter 5...Brain Washed Into Another Language

Chapter 5.jpeg
The audio version..www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqo9J7F8lM4

This has also been translated into Portuguese and is attached at the end of the English version.
The words of Kameron Wolfer (1st child)...
My dad was diagnosed with cerebellar ataxia in 2003.  I was eleven years old at the time of his diagnosis.  I had no idea about what a cerebellum was, for my interest in learning about the human mind would not come for another decade.  All I knew was, judging by my parent’s reactions to this diagnosis, life for my dad would never be the same.

                                            ……………………………………………..

   There was a time when I not only desired to learn a second language but also thought myself capable of success in that respect. That was the reason why I so boldly, and confidently, added the Beginning German course to my class schedule my Sophomore year of College.

   Along the same vein, that it seemed a vast number of the things in my life moved, my desire to learn a different language did not mesh very well with my actual linguistic abilities. Looking back on my efforts to speak something besides English, brings to mind someone who is determined to combine oil and water together, stirring them into a cohesive mixture.

  To suggest, however, that my efforts while I was in school can be described in any way as being determined, well….that may be stretching the truth a bit. The reality was that having a sustainable drive to stick it out through tough times was the root of the whole problem. I lacked the sufficient drive to get things done. As soon as something presented any difficulty, I would quickly begin a furious round of backpedaling.

   The thing was that a lot of the obstacles facing me were self-inflicted...like I was purposely setting myself up. For example, the language class that I had added to my class schedule was at eight a.m.....eight a.m.! Quite frankly, I seriously struggled early in the morning to speak anything that resembled the English language...forget about any other languages! Even with a pretty decent command of slang, and a good handle on the proper uses of some downright bad English, I struggled.

   I was not, by any definition, what you would refer to as a morning person. In fact, the only way to keep me from demonstrating a serious, and habitual, abuse upon the snooze button of the alarm clock, was to put the offending digital squawk-box outside of easy reach.

   Thinking that this was a plan of complete genius, I turned the radio alarm on full blast and set it on a shelf across the room from my bed. The music would come on at the maximum volume, and to shut the radio alarm off, I would have to get out of bed. Since I slept on the top bunk, it would be deemed as too much of a chore to climb back up into bed at this point, and I would resign myself to being up for the day. To do it this way seemed to be a sound theory.

   Having the clock across the room appeared to make perfect sense, at least it did to p.m. guy, who had hatched the plan, and set the whole thing up. But not so much for early morning guy, who in a sleepy and frantic state, forgot that he was on the top bunk when he shot out of bed to put a panicked stop to the loud music, which had so eloquently barged into his dreams.

    The act of a full body, early-morning plummet onto a hardwood floor was sufficiently enough to wake me up. The explosive early morning activity also served well as a way to wake up my roommate, and the friendly residents of the room directly below ours, although I don't remember them being quite as pleasant afterward. As bone-jarring as it was, however, I was a quick study. I only required another 4 or 5 early morning meetings on the cold and unforgiving floor until I was able to first, wake up and remember that I was on the top bunk, climb down to floor level, and continue to the task of gently embracing the offending alarm clock.

    College was my first, and last, stint at trying to become a bi-lingual man. That is until SCA moved in, and taught me a new form of communication, called slurring. The language of this kind is unique, as it possesses the ability to become a subset of any dialect, and can be smoothly integrated into any and every Nationality. However, before I go any further, I would like to make it clear that in no uncertain terms or in any way did I EVER volunteer, or elect to learn this language. It was thrust upon me….I have been brainwashed.

   I will have to say, though, that I have become rather proficient at it. I can speak it, understand others' who speak it, write it, and even on occasion translate it for those poor souls who are of the single lingual persuasion. The only thing that stands in the way of becoming versed in this form of communication completely is the ability to read it. My writing has become, mostly, unreadable...even to me.

   The efforts needed to read my attempts at legible penmanship have become an exercise that is based solely upon my memory of what it was that I was writing down. What I mean is, that if a note to myself hasn't been jotted down within, say, the preceding 2 or 3 hours, then I have no idea what it means. Indeed...it feels as if I am trying to decipher ancient hieroglyphics, ("What is that...a picture? What could I have possibly been trying to tell myself? Did someone fall into a well….?).

   I keep a pad of paper beside our computer for the purpose of taking quick little notes. Most of the time the top page will fill up with something that resembles a madman's scratches that just might pertain to his quantum theories of nothingness. My wife, Melissa, will ask me sometimes, while she is straightening up, if a full page of my scribblings is something important, and do I want to keep it? Well...maybe it is something important, but apparently, I don't have a need to hang on to it because I no longer can read it, or possess the linguistic skills needed to make it out clearly.

  I do think, though, that it would be a step in a positive direction if slurring would be recognized as an official language. I would also like to suggest that this form of language be assigned a new name. If this type of dialect could have a name that might put an emphasis on the flowing nature of slurred speech. I would like to suggest that it be referred to as cursive-speech.

   I have two reasons for proposing this name change. The first one is precisely what I just suggested. Cursive-speech would be a name that would emphasize, and capture, the romantic flow in which words are connected within this dialect. The second reason has to do with the direct availability of the name cursive.

   There once was a time when cursive writing made up a significant percentage of the written word. Everyone was taught in grade school how to write it. The alphabet was the same, but there was more of an artistic elegance in the way it was approached. Letters were connected in sweeping arcs to make words, and cursive writing was viewed to be a more mature, and professional form of writing.

   Those days are gone now, and in fact, cursive and writing are no longer even associated with one another. Writing, which is not my area of interest here, has taken on other forms. Cursive, however...which IS my area of interest, has been stuck up on a high shelf to gather dust, to nearly be forgotten to a larger degree every day.

Cursive can still be a productive member of society, and so I am proposing that it would be taken down, dusted off, and reinstated to the area of speech.  I feel that the term cursive-speech brings more class and dignity to those who speak the Ataxian dialect, more so than does continually referring to the language as slurred speech. This is how I will be defining my speech from now on….. who's with me?


Calligraphy is another form of writing....but, unfortunately, it is still being used at the present, because my sloppy Ataxia-based handwriting could, and would, also benefit from a simple name change. Instead of people scratching their heads when they observe my attempts at legible scribbles...I could explain that I am practicing my Ataxiian Calligraphy.

I think that it would be a positive thing to do...and now, just like I propose that cursive be reassigned, I am patiently waiting on writing to be done with the art of calligraphy...so that I can petition that Ataxia writing might someday also enjoy the benefits of being given a new designation.





Capítulo 5...Uma Lavagem Cerebral para Outro Idioma


As palavras de Kameron Wolfer (1º filho)...
O meu pai foi diagnosticado com Ataxia Cerebelosa em 2003.  Eu tinha apenas onze anos de idade na altura do diagnóstico.  Eu não fazia a mínima  ideia sobre o que era o cerebelo, o meu interesse em aprender sobre a mente humana só aconteceria uma década mais tarde.  Eu apenas via a reacção dos meus pais a este diagnóstico, a vida para o meu pai nunca mais seria igual


                                            ……………………………………………..


   Houve uma altura em que eu não só desejei aprender uma segunda língua, mas também pensei que ia ter sucesso nesse sentido. Essa foi a razão por que eu corajosamente, e confiante, acrescentei o curso de alemão à minha lista de disciplinas no segundo ano de Faculdade.


   Na mesma linha, parece que um grande número de coisas na minha vida tinham mudado, o meu desejo de aprender uma segunda língua não estava muito de acordo com as minhas habilidades linguísticas actuais. Olhando para trás os meus esforços para falar algo além do inglês, faz-me lembrar alguém que está determinado a combinar óleo e água, mexendo-os vigorosamente para obter uma mistura coesa.


  Para sugerir, porém, que meus esforços, enquanto eu estava na escola podem ser descritos de forma alguma, como sendo determinados, é esticar a verdade um pouco. A realidade era que ter uma energia sustentável para continuar mesmo em tempos difíceis era o inicio do problema. Faltava-me a energia para fazer as coisas. À primeira dificuldade, eu recuava furiosamente.


   O problema era que a maioria dos obstáculos que eu enfrentava eram criados por mim ...pois eu tinha escolhido assim. Por exemplo, a aula de língua alemã, que eu tinha propositadamente adicionado ao meu horário era às oito .....oito da manhã! Francamente, eu realmente tinha dificuldade logo de manhã cedo de falar qualquer coisa que se assemelhasse com a língua inglesa... quanto mais  qualquer outra língua! Mesmo com um certo conhecimento de gírias, e um bom controlo da correcta utilização de algumas em mau inglês, eu esforcei-me.


   Eu não era, em geral, o que se podia referir uma pessoa activa de manhã. Na verdade, a única maneira de prevenir um sério e habitual,  abuso do botão "soneca" do meu despertador, foi colocar essa caixa digital barulhenta longe do meu alcance.


   A pensar que isto seria genial, eu liguei o alarme do rádio, na altura máxima e coloquei-o numa prateleira do outro lado do meu quarto. A música viria no volume máximo, e para desligar o alarme do rádio, eu teria de sair da cama. Como dormia no beliche, poderia ser considerado uma tarefa difícil subir de novo para a cama, e eu me resignaria a começar  o dia. Fazer isto desta forma parecia ser uma boa ideia.


   Com o relógio do outro lado do quarto parecia fazer todo o sentido, pelo menos fez para um tipo que só funcionava à tarde e tinha engendrado um plano, e o posto em prática. Mas para um tipo que não funciona muito bem ao início da manhã, e num estado sonolento e frenético, esqueci-me que estava no beliche de cima quando me atirei para fora da cama em pânico para desligar a música alta, que tinha tão eloquentemente invadido os meus sonhos.


    me acordar. A actividade explosiva logo de manhã cedo também serviu como uma forma de despertar o meu companheiro de quarto, e os simpáticos moradores do apartamento directamente por baixo, de nós, embora não me lembre de ter sido tão agradável depois. Apesar de tudo eu aprendia  rápido. Eu só necessitei mais 4 ou 5 reuniões com o chão  frio e implacável para acordar e lembrar-me que  estava no beliche de cima, e comecei a descer cuidadosamente para o nível do chão, e continuava a de abraçar suavemente o despertador infractor.


    A faculdade foi a minha primeira, e última, tentativa de me tornar um homem  bilingue. Isso foi até a SCA chegar, e aprender uma nova forma de comunicação, chamada, arrastar palavras. A linguagem desta espécie é única, pois possui a capacidade de ser um dialecto, que pode ser facilmente integrada em qualquer e todas as nacionalidades. No entanto, antes de continuar, gostaria de deixar bem claro que de forma alguma, eu nunca voluntariamente escolhia aprender esta língua. Fui obrigado....fui sujeito a uma lavagem cerebral.


   Eu vou ter que dizer, porém, que até me tornei bastante proficiente. Proficiente a falar e compreender os outros que a falam, a escrever, e até mesmo em certas alturas traduzi-la para aquelas pobres almas, que não entendem. O único entrave de tornar-se completamente versado nesta forma de comunicação é a capacidade de ler. A minha letra escrita tornou-se, especialmente, ilegível...até para mim.


   Os esforços necessários para ler as minhas tentativas de caligrafia legível tornou-se um exercício que era baseado apenas na minha memória do que  eu tinha escrito. O que eu quero dizer é que, se uma nota escrita por mim, para mim não fosse feita nas últimas 2 ou 3 horas, então eu não tinha qualquer ideia do que possa significar. Na verdade... sinto-me como se estivesse a tentar decifrar hieróglifos, ("o que é ..esta imagem? O que é que eu poderia estar a tentar dizer-me? Alguém caiu num poço....?).


   Eu mantenho um bloco de papel ao lado do nosso computador para tomar notas pequenas e rápidas. Na maioria dos casos o topo da página enchia-se de gatafunhos que foram aparentemente feitos por um louco, que só se pode relacionar com a sua teoria quântica de nada. A minha esposa, Melissa, pergunta-me às vezes, enquanto está a arrumar, se uma página inteira dos meus rabiscos é algo importante, e se quero guardá-lo? Bem...talvez seja algo importante, mas aparentemente, não tenho a necessidade de o guardar, pois já não o consigo ler, nem possuo os conhecimentos linguísticos necessários para o entender com clareza.


  No entanto penso que poderia ser um passo positivo para que o arrastamento de palavras fosse reconhecido como um idioma oficial. Eu também gostaria de sugerir que essa forma de linguagem, fosse atribuído um novo nome. Se este tipo de dialecto tivesse um nome que desse ênfase ao fluxo natural da fala arrastada. Eu gostaria de sugerir que seja referido como fala cursiva.


   Eu tenho duas razões para propor esta mudança de nome. O primeiro é precisamente o que eu tinha sugerido.  Fala cursiva seria um nome que salientava, e  capturava, o fluxo romântico de como as palavras são interligadas dentro deste dialecto.  A segunda razão tem a ver com a disponibilidade do nome cursivo.


   Houve uma altura quando a escrita cursiva fazia uma significativa percentagem da palavra escrita. Todos aprendiam na escola primária como escrevê-la. O alfabeto era o mesmo, mas era abordado de uma forma mais artística e elegante. As letras eram ligadas com arcos deslumbrantes, e escrita cursiva foi considerada uma forma de escrita mais madura e mais profissional.


   Esses dias já passaram à história e na verdade, o cursivo e a escrita já não estão associados umas a outra. A escrita, que não é a minha área de interesse aqui, assumiu outras formas. Cursivo, no entanto...é a minha área de interesse, está presa  numa prateleira alta a apanhar pó, e a ser esquecida todos os dias.


A cursiva pode ainda ser um membro produtivo da sociedade, e por isso  proponho que a tirem para baixo, tirem o pó, e a reintegrem na área da fala.  Eu acho que o termo fala-cursiva traz mais classe e dignidade para aqueles que falam o dialecto atáxico, muito mais do que referir continuamente, à linguagem de fala arrastada. Isto vai ser a forma como eu defino a minha fala a partir de agora..... quem está comigo?


Caligrafia é uma outra forma de escrever....mas, infelizmente, já não está em uso actualmente, porque a minha escrita de Ataxia desleixada poderia também beneficiar de uma simples mudança de nome. Em vez de as pessoas coçarem a cabeça quando observam as minhas tentativas, de fazer rabiscos ilegíveis...eu podia explicar que estou a praticar a minha Caligrafia Atáxica.


Eu acho que seria uma coisa positiva para o fazer...e agora, eu proponho que o cursivo seja redefinido, eu estou pacientemente à espera que a escrita deve ser feita com a arte da caligrafia...portanto eu possa fazer uma petição para que a escrita Atáxica talvez um dia também venha a beneficiar de ter uma nova designação.

No comments:

Post a Comment